Uncover the hidden messages in the Wanda Gág’s "Millions of Cats"(1928), considered the oldest children's book still in print

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/10/uncover-the-hidden-messages-in-the-wanda-gags-millions-of-cats1928-considered-the-oldest-childrens-book-still-in-print.html

3 Likes

There can only be ONE!

1 Like

There should have been only one.

8 Likes
1 Like

Pretty sure Alice in Wonderland has continuously been in print a darn sight longer.

3 Likes

I have no idea what you’re referring to.

3 Likes

I can’t figure out what the very old woman is doing with her knitting at the end of the book. Any other knitters here have an idea? Are those supposed to be needles, or what? It doesn’t look like any multi-needle knitting method I know of. Or is it just supposed to be fantastic/non-realistic, like the idea of millions of cats?

3 Likes

The distinction may hinge on the fact that “Millions of Cats” is a children’s picture book whereas “Alice” is a children’s novel.

2 Likes

Early AI? Count the fingers.

4 Likes

I suppose it might mean that, but it does not say that.

3 Likes

Yes. I know. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think she might be holding one color or pattern on a needle for later, while working on another section with two needles as usual. I’ve never knitted a sock but I think I’ve seen directions telling me to do that. One reason why I’ve never knitted a sock.

2 Likes

Oh, may be! (Although I think that could be more likely when doing the type of color-pattern changes that we see down at the foot, and for turning the heel?)

I haven’t knitted socks, but I have done mittens on four needles. The needles don’t all stick up in the air like in the picture, though.

Where does The Tale of Peter Rabbit fall on the scale?

1 Like

Struwwelpeter has it beat by a decade

4 Likes

It’s not “picture” that’s the missing qualifier, it’s “American”:

Considered the oldest American children’s book still in print

1 Like

Someone needs to tell Popkin about how annoying US Defaultism is

4 Likes

Fair call, and even has the implied picture book covered.

2 Likes

I love this book so much, and blithely never considered any hidden meaning when I read it as a kid and then later when I read it to MY kid. Also one of my favorite books: The Funny Thing - Wanda Gag – 50 Watts Books

Mighty tasty too they are, jumjils!

1 Like