Unless you opt out, Amazon devices will stoon start sharing your internet with anyone nearby

Originally published at: Unless you opt out, Amazon devices will stoon start sharing your internet with anyone nearby | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Is stoon something with a faster onset than soon or does it come slightly after soon? I’m clearly not hip to today’s lingo.

10 Likes

The “if we can grab it, it’s ours” business model.

31 Likes

iFQBkgN

23 Likes

Isn’t it the case that comcast, ok…-sigh- xfinity, already shares your bandwidth with other customers to make yet more money? (ancient 2013 story) Perhaps that’s still opt_in not opt_out and that’s the key difference here?

5 Likes

Seems like a pretty big difference!

6 Likes

In the agreement, I guess that there’s a clause that either authorizes this, or lets them (not you!) make arbitrary changes.

13 Likes

When we got a Google speaker/spy rig thing a few years ago for Christmas, we immediately returned it and got a Kitchenaid handheld mixer, a game controller, a solar Bluetooth wireless keyboard and a bunch of other loot. At that point there were only one or two spyware gadgets per maker, but I could see this coming even then. Best gift return ever.

24 Likes

I was always suspicious that Verizon supplied home routers would be used to provide roaming wifi access to their cellphone customers without my consent. Not sure if there was a way I could tell if that was happening if it was hard coded into the hardware.

8 Likes

im confused about people’s other agreements, namely those with isps. most forbid you from sharing your connection with other people ( to prevent neighbors or apartment dwellers from buying a single highspeed connection and allowing everyone low speed basic access )

personally, id be fine with sharing my inet with everyone other than amazon. ( if there was a way to do so securely. )

8 Likes

Send them an invoice for bandwidth used.

6 Likes

I’ve seen where this goes…

7 Likes

Disappointed but not surprised to see community scale wireless mesh - which is an awesome idea - go public in a way that completely poisons the concept by putting the needs of unaccountable corporate overlords ahead of the goals of people buying and operating the devices.

27 Likes

I have Xfinity internet. WiFi Public Hotspot is default-enabled. Easy enough to opt-out if you are aware of it.

5 Likes

Needs more @beschizza Headline says stoon not soon.

2 Likes

Good thing that I don’t own any Amazon devices, nor any ‘digital assistant’ tech at all.

It’s almost like I took the lessons from Kubrick’s 2001 and the lesser known Electric Dreams to heart:

19 Likes

Say in a russian accent
In amazon, internet runs you!

2 Likes

When it comes to Amazon, Google, and Facebook, I’ve always been of the opinion that Amazon and Google can merely be broken up into many, smaller, non-monopolistic companies, while Facebook is an horrific net-negative on society and needs to face Corporate Capital Punishment. Now I’m starting to suspect that Amazon needs to be face the guillotine as well… figuratively speaking, of course.

2 Likes

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stoon

Middle English[edit]

Noun[edit]

stoon ( plural stoones or stoon )

1. Alternative form of stone
3 Likes

So, like, when it happens is just the time equivalent of a stone’s throw away?

3 Likes