Unnervingly good entry in the "what languages sound like to non-speakers" genre

Didn’t see the film, but what I heard in that trailer made me cringe. :grimacing:

1 Like

I thought he pulled it off pretty well. The extremeness of the accent was a little bit hammy, but that was kind of the point of the character. No real “British speaking American” tells that were prominent enough to bug me.

EDIT: Oh wait, I’m thinking of Knives Out. Logan Lucky was maybe not quite as good as the latter but still not… atrocious? Same principle behind the character in terms of hamminess, for sure. And you know, there are so many highly niche Southern American accents that I’m not sure I’d be able to reliably tell you whether some particular manifestation is plausible or not.

2 Likes

What Rapper’s Delight sounds like to non rappers:

1 Like

I’m from the upper Midwest and have a classic Great Lakes accent. Most places I go in the US, people always assume I’m Canadian, or from rural Vermont (when I’m in New England) or else guess random northern European countries.

As a German speaker from the US, neither was I. To me it sounded like stereotypical fake Norwegian. Although it does seem like the speaker’s only exposure to German was through movies about Hitler. Too shouty.

2 Likes

It’s not as egregious as his ‘Geordie’ accent in Our Friends in the North. Fuck, but that one is bad. T’was ever thus, sadly. They’d much rather get someone else to tape a bunch of cats together than pay a north-eastern actor (unless they’re the wonderful Gina McKee or Tim Healey, but apparently that’s the quota filled).

Having had Spanish in college, I find that I can sort-of read Portuguese, but I find spoken Portuguese to be incomprehensible, since my ears are expecting Spanish.

At my age, even spoken Spanish can be quite hard for me to follow since I rarely use it in real life, and I have to pretty much forget about English and think in Spanish to even come close.

1 Like

Indeed, we tend to clip, elide, and slur things together.

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.