Unwanted guest claims squatter's rights in children's backyard treehouse (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/27/unwanted-guest-claims-squatters-rights-in-childrens-backyard-treehouse-video.html

7 Likes

No doubt that is a real thing that is really happening and not to boost views on Tiktok.

36 Likes

Bullshit. A “couple of days” is not nearly long enough to establish residency. A couple of weeks isn’t long enough. I’m not sure a couple of months is enough for a treehouse. It’s not like that’s intended for occupancy. It’s probably not even to code for occupancy. I don’t believe this story.

38 Likes

Video shows the treehouse presently unoccupied, which I would interpret as the person having vacated the premises. Also, without a certificate of occupancy, you’d expect the town to step in and do whatever they do in that case.

9 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas about suing the “landlord”…

10 Likes

It might be the cops’ way of saying “we don’t feel like dealing with this.”

11 Likes

Or it could be bullshit. I’m going with bullshit.

30 Likes

Yeah. Adverse possession rules have been undermined in most of the rich world during my lifetime. Significantly so.

5 Likes

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

It doesn’t say treehouses, so there! /s

13 Likes

Potayto, potahto.

2 Likes

Including the hashtag “#viraltiktok” in the post really gives it that extra sheen of credibility, doesn’t it?

12 Likes

I am with you, and if it is real then the cops don’t know what the heck they are talking about.

It sounds like a story that is either made up and circulated uncritically or taken way out of context as part of the national dialogue about demonizing unhoused people.

12 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

7 Likes

Agreed; it sounds like fabricated rage bait.

13 Likes

There is a lot of that going around about “squatters” who aren’t. Most of it playing to racist peril narratives about “those people” coming to the lily white neighborhoods and “invading”.

11 Likes

Also they have to have litter boxes in the classrooms now for the furbies! It’s the law!

7 Likes

18 Likes

Like everyone here I agree it sounds suspect for multiple reasons, but the thing I keep coming back to is “it’s not hard to make someone’s life a living hell so they move out, roommates and legitimate landlords do it all the time.”

4 Likes

And for what it’s worth, there’s a related one, which has a hashtag “#jokes”.

Screenshot:

9 Likes

They never should have listed it on Airbnb.

13 Likes