US government studying how to launch a commercial economy on the moon within ten years

Originally published at: US government studying how to launch a commercial economy on the moon within ten years | Boing Boing

1 Like

What’s the short version? Is there anything on the moon that we want which can’t be found more easily on Earth? They still hoping to find abundant Helium-3 for cheap fusion energy, maybe?

10 Likes

Enshittification, IN SPACE!

14 Likes

Best I can tell, sending products back to Earth is beyond the scope of this.

This seems to be what can be done to get to the point where say, one of the Lunatics living on the moon can order some solar panels/propellant/whatever or what they need to make them from industry here or there rather than everything be centrally managed from the top-down by someone like NASA.

At least that’s my take. Honestly it’s all so vague and full of buzzwords it hurt to read. The Lunar Market Assessment does speak about eventually sending back products, but well beyond a 10 year horizon.

7 Likes

CAPITALISM!!!… in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! (That is, of course, ALL-CAPS CAPITALISM!!!)

8 Likes

“Here me out. We’ll send a cow, see, into a translunar orbit. We’ll bring Bessie home safe and sound and sell the milk to Peter Thiel and that guy with no shirt on YouTube. Stuff may not make them live forever, but who knows. That’s Science, or magic or some shit. Damn, this coke is good.”

Metal Rage GIF by Better Noise Music

Turns out you can snort Moondust. You can snort anything. Once.

10 Likes

It’s tourism or a clone based economy.

18 Likes

Never book a stay at any establishment managed by Kevin Spacey.

7 Likes
7 Likes

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

8 Likes

that was my take too. although i don’t know which seems more likely: being a self sufficient closed economy, or one that exchanges something of value with earth for new inputs. ( especially given we haven’t even reached the point of: a base exists with heavy funding and no returns )

i guess the plan is some sort of moonshot. :cat2:

eta:

just wait till you see her dark side.

8 Likes

Cool. Just like in the movie

5 Likes

Turns out you can sell NFTs to Earthlings for 10s of thousands of dollars. Should be enough to thrive on the moon! /s

5 Likes

Fully Automated Zero-Luxury Space Capitalism? Boo! Boo, we say!

5 Likes

Abstracts for project proposals need to be in by September 6, with the program officially kicking off in November, so get cracking.

4 Likes

Because ruining one planet simply isn’t enough

1 Like

I think only the aliens that live on the moon consider the moon a planet.

2 Likes

It better be small useful items, or stuff for use in space, because dropping a Great Lakes ore freighter-load from LEO releases half a megaton of energy.

1 Like

So you’re saying that there’s an opportunity to get paid to not send products back?

3 Likes

“Nice load of ore I’ve got here. Shame if I … dropped it.”

(The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, only with Musk and Thiel as main characters.)

3 Likes