US Govt suspected of shutting down new WiFi router for whistleblowers

If they wanted many people to use it, presumably, yes.

If you recall, my post was in response to @sssss asking if they were possibly missing why this could be “a big deal”. Intelligence groups actually do fret about a technique for flying under their radar used by only a handful of people becoming commonplace.

But acknowledging this as a possibility in no way implies that I believe it to be the case here. I am not especially interested in why the talk was cancelled.

Most hackers that I know that are doing something clever in opsec don’t tell people online because that clues the wrong people in on what they are doing.

I’m sure I’ll hear more about the talk being canceled in three weeks when I’m at DEFCON. :smile:

My mistake. I thought it was being marketed online.

Still not sure what this does that can’t be done with an ordinary (much cheaper) router and the right freeware. If it’s for whistleblowers who don’t want to learn how to mask their IP themselves, then why sell them only at DEFCON? Or if you meant that was simply where it would be launched, then is every user going to buy it using cash or bitcoins? I’m no hacker, but, and maybe I’m just being paranoid, I know I’d feel a little uneasy buying one of these through a traceable transaction.

I share your questions, really. It seems a silly device with limited uses and one that isn’t hard to replicate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.