5G conspiracy theorists are selling Faraday cages to put your router in. But there's a problem.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/04/5g-conspiracy-theorists-are-selling-faraday-cages-to-put-your-router-in-but-theres-a-problem.html

11 Likes

44 Likes

Using something that blocks radio signals on a device that operates on radio signals? Not seeing the problems here.

38 Likes

something something, there’s a sucker born every minute…

17 Likes

The stupid this world produces is truly unbelievable.

Paying to block their own wifi, then complaining their phone doesn’t work.

I need to start the NGA- National Grifters Association, and give up my morals, I could be making a fortune off of these evolutionary failures

33 Likes

They sound like a perfect market for wifi-less routers and special shielded cables.

13 Likes

Somebody please post a picture of the “time machine” from Napoleon dynamite, my 5G isn’t working unfortunately :laughing:

9 Likes

I wonder what the oldschool “Wi-Fi is bad” anti-EMF folks think of it all.

Best not to go there. :wink:

6 Likes

I’m gonna sell these morons raincoats for the shower to keep them safe from fluoride.

25 Likes

Oh, Dear Dog, the science-illiterate “electro sensitives”! I had to speak to a locally notorious one while on the job, it was…painful. I ended up suggesting that her only recourse to cell towers was to rip out all the electrical wiring from her house, and put wire mesh on all the walls, including the windows. There was no knowledge of the science behind electricity or radio waves in that “alternative fact” filled head, nor was there logic or rationality. And of course she called on a fucking cell phone.

25 Likes

Dihydrogen monoxide.

17 Likes

$90 so yer’ shit don’t work.
I can do that for free, thank-you-very-much.

10 Likes

Faraday cages are the tinfoil hats of 2020.

12 Likes

Yeah, dunno how they deal with that giant EM emitting ball of fire in the sky, though one did mention that it was the “square” waves that did all the damage… sigh

10 Likes

She would view Better Call Saul as an instructional video series!

4 Likes

Aside from the obvious problems with putting a wifi AP inside a faraday cage (hey, might be one place on Amazon where you are better off buying the ones that are unfit for purpose and filled with lies; at least those won’t interfere with your signal strength like the properly engineered ones…); have I missed the advent of 5G-based routers?

Historically, regulation of devices that would be mucking around on regulated bands inhabited by cellular telcos was fairly tight; and even when you could get ‘picocells’ or ‘femtocells’ from your carrier to supplement dead spots(those seem to have become less common, at least at the consumer level, with the increased availability and reliability of wifi-handoff) those tended to be locked down hard and often had features like requiring a GPS fix to verify that they were in an authorized area prior to working.

If your router is emitting 5G signals there is either something very wrong with it or you’ve found a delightful cheap SDR hack and are awesome; in neither case is a faraday cage the solution.

6 Likes

Ah. I think someone might already be running with this idea.

5 Likes

Our router is tri-band because our ISP is GB fiber. The band are 2G and 5G (two bands at this frequency).

4 Likes

You can get a 5G router, as in instead of a wire, it connects to the closest cell tower and then distributes via wifi…

1 Like

Sry to be pedant (not really) but for Wifi that’s 2(.4)Ghz and 5Ghz… 4G and 5G the G is generation, not the frequency band(s).

19 Likes