5G conspiracy theorists are selling Faraday cages to put your router in. But there's a problem.

Indeed, you are correct. Won’t matter to our infamous local, it’s all the same to her.

Can’t wait 'till the 5G small cell sites get installed - sure to generate new rounds of painfully stupid phone calls with our local tinfoil hatters.

11 Likes

19 Likes

My condolences, I have dealt with dumb questions for many a year… but malevolent stupidity I have fortunately avoided.

3 Likes

“I just got here from the Qanon chatboards. Which peripherals are best for blocking the COVID-19 waves?”

12 Likes

They really need to snag Gene Hackman for the commercials.

9 Likes

Lots of people get confused by some very confusing terminology, so let’s set that straight.

5G is a generation of cellular broadband data service. It uses spectrum all over the place, from 2-5 GHz (already used by cellular, Wifi etc.) and from 24-43 GHz (previously used mostly for radar).

5GHz is a frequency band used by WiFi (in addition to 2.4 GHz).

Putting a Faraday cage on a WiFi router won’t have any effect whatsoever on 5G cellular radio transmission.

19 Likes

“Faraday cages for Wi-Fi routers” this wins the nerd award for “gummi bears for tooth decay”.

ok kiddies it’s napkin scribbl’n time: a C-C bond requires 348 kj/mol to break, a C-H requires 411 kj/mol (do your own googling, it’s really about that). Now, E = hν. The lower of those energies corresponds to 8.72422e14 Hertz. Or (as we would expect due to skin cancer) in the UV light spectrum. 5g is around 28 GHz notably less energy than the THz range. So no direct fears to one’s tissues. now, as to weather satellites… hm.

4 Likes

But there’s a problem.

11 Likes

Moving to Green Bank, VA, is also an option.

3 Likes

Not exactly true, if you get a 5G router (like this ) that faraday cage will screw it too :smiley:

You have to have refused to listen in science classes, and refused to think critically about what you hear, and refused to learn how to search for valid information on the web, to be this pig-ignorant. So I think it’s fine to bill people for this kind of ignorance. It’s self inflicted. I just wish I’d thought of selling them little Faraday cages myself.

3 Likes

I suspect 5G as in 5th generation cell phones is being conflated with 5G as in 5 gigahertz wifi

7 Likes

1 Like

If only they knew how much RF they are already soaking in they’d not have time to worry about 5G:

12 Likes

You put the router on that shelf

7 Likes

Insert: Fiber optics

Were they living in South Africa and complaining about a tower that had been switched off six weeks earlier?

4 Likes

On the other hand, I welded my car in a shipping container last year, and I haven’t had a speeding ticket since.

15 Likes

Even if you block the 5G waves the chemtrails are going to get you eventually. You can’t win.

5 Likes

Dental dams too, so they drink without suffering full contamination. Also dribble glasses.