Quack 5G protection gadget just a copper tube in a light box

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/20/quack-5g-protection-gadget-jus.html

2 Likes

If you think some random coil is effective, you’d have to be a nut.

4 Likes

Grifters gotta grift!

3 Likes

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Testgear/fsm2g4.htm

I think that someone could walk the extra mile and sell them a wi-fi field meter. actually selling them the real thing and make some bucks too…

4 Likes

5G truthers make me long for the days of the mall kiosks that sold $50 RFID stickers that increased your nokia phone’s signal.

8 Likes

Couldn’t they just put some bits of recycled circuit boards in there? Would have made it more credible.

3 Likes

I don’t think it would though. The apparent simplicity is part of the reason people buy shit like this. It’s tinfoil hats and homeopathy, they don’t care how it works but they want it to seem simple and natural.

3 Likes

Imaginary problems cry out for imaginary solutions.

Gotta go now; I’m manufacturing Gravity Enhancers that make it possible to live out at the perimeter of the Earth disc where stellar edge winds are at their strongest. Message me if you want one.Thanks to my proprietary tech, the Faffenreffer Gravity Enhancer sells for the ultra-low price $59.99 and I can ship this afternoon.

12 Likes

Reminds me of a lightning detector that I have… somewhere. Three NE2 lamps soldered together like the symbol for a transistor. Seems fake as hell, but does glow a bit right before a nearby strike.

2 Likes

You almost can’t blame the grifters. Qanon is like a giant sign saying “Exploitable Morons This Way

12 Likes

I’m all in favor of calling out the quackery, but isn’t this a bit of an oversimplification? Perhaps I don’t know, as I haven’t stuck my head into a running microwave lately.

1 Like

I’d be more inclined to believe it’s a scam if it only contained a resistor and an LED. But copper isn’t cheap. Is it a scam if the creator thinks it works?

DEFUND Q-ANON. Just let it play out.

2 Likes

A pound of copper is about $3. This is retailing for $357.

2 Likes

Honestly not surprising that works. Neon lamps have a lot of really interesting EM properties. You’ll find them inside a lot of old radio and other analog circuits, not functioning as indicator lamps, but for their electrical behavior.

5 Likes

No, it is not an oversimplification. Cell phone radios are non-ionizing radiation and incredibly low power in any case. It’s unambiguously, completely, totally safe. It has been scientifically studied extensively for safety as well, because people have been scared of them since inception. Comparing to a microwave oven is silly because those two devices are many orders of magnitude apart in power level, and completely different parts of the EM spectrum. The latter turns out to matter quite a bit in how you are affected by things.

16 Likes

Copper is a much better protector from EMF than aluminum foil - I heartily recommend it for protective headgear.

2 Likes

They are tiny discharge tubes that with the correct currents flowing in they show negative resistance and could be used as oscillators, and also to protect form surges and static electricity.

1 Like

Pfft! 5G is old news. All the cool kids are paranoid about 6G.

1 Like

Not to belabor a point, but exact words were 5G is as safe as any other radio transmission. Which is demonstrably false.

1 Like