5G conspiracy theorists are selling Faraday cages to put your router in. But there's a problem.

“My router doesn’t work very well”

“Have you tried turning it off and on again” (thank you IT Crowd)

“Yes”

“Have you tried removing the Faraday cage.”

Oh, you’d like that, wouldn’t you!

11 Likes

needs more blockchain

11 Likes

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US. The problem with macro tower in question (which is very much active) is that she can see it from one of the windows in her house. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Frankly, I have no moral qualms about separating money from the sort of muppet who goes along with sort of fuckwittery, if I could only work up the enthusiasm to start something going. Too fucking lazy, truth be told.

2 Likes

2G + 5G = 7G so you’re fine :wink:

6 Likes

This is the real reason 5G is bad, not for any direct health impacts, but because it fucks with weather radar. Turns out the weather service needs some of that bandwidth to see with.

My tinfoil hat theory, is that the faraday cage nonsense is being deliberately seeded, to make any more sensible objections seem more crackpot.

2 Likes

Anyone want to help market plastic bags and duct tape as personal anti-smog protection?

4 Likes

Wanna team up? Pretty sure we could do better than some of those yokels. They didn’t even address the idea of noise floor, so they’re pretty much just leaving money on the table.

1 Like

The fact that some customers were able to get some Wi-Fi signal showed it wasn’t entirely working - they should get their money back!

7 Likes

Although all radio-related health myths are _categorical bollocks,_it is not true that only ionising radiation can interact with living tissue.

Indeed, the entire reason for wifi’s existence is that the useful 2.4GHz band was left unassigned, because interference makes it not useful for antique radio technologies anyway. And the interference is due to microwave ovens. So in a sense, wifi is specifically designed to affect flesh.

(Microwave and far-infrared photons don’t have the energy to break bonds in organic molecules, but they can excite vibrational modes in those molecules, which heats them up)

1 Like

It seems this device would actually increase human exposure to RF radiation. The devices transmitting to the router would have to use a higher power and it is these devices which are the closest to humans.

1 Like

Conspiracy people are worried about 5th generation cellular protocols.

My wifi router has a 5GHz mode, with an LED to indicate that it is in use.

A senior co-worker of mine doesn’t see the distinction between the two either, which is a worry.

1 Like

“flesh”? If you’re thinking in terms of flipping a water molecule over because it’s polar that calls for the issue of power levels. For that think in terms of dosage. a 5G signal might flip three water molecules in your body but that doesn’t raise the temperature in any remotely significant way. And, as always, it’s important to separate bond breaking (UV radiation and beyond) from rotational/vibrational energy associated with, for instance, the IR/microwave end of the spectrum. In order to cook “flesh”, like in a microwave you have to be flipping so many water molecules that it requires hundreds of watts.

To beat the matter to death: “cancer” is associated with individual energetic photons (e.g. UV), whereas only heating, and eventual denaturation, is associated with concentration of IR levels of photons. That is, ‘cooking’ is more of a group effort, as in power. (Which 5G doesn’t afford)

2 Likes

Anyone will tell you that line-of-sight gives the strongest signal (although the 5G bouncing off the chemtrails is still strong enough to cause your cow to go dry).

7 Likes

Actually it shoud be 5G+2G and 5G-2G, giving sidebands at 7G and 3G.

8 Likes

There is absolutely nothing special about the 2.4 GHz band for heating water. Frequencies in a very large band will do. In fact, you would not like to use a frequent that is especially resonant for the task. That would cause just the surface to heat a lot (absorbing all the power) and letting none at all into the centre of the food.

2.4GHz is a useful frequency for heating food for other reasons. You need your microwave cavity to be several wavelengths large to have good power distribution inside. 2.4 GHz is 12 cm, and thus some 20 cm is enough size to let the waves slosh around correctly.

On the other hand it is more difficult to create efficient power generation at high frequencies. So you’d not like your frequency to be to high either. It would heat just fine, but making a magnetron to produce the power would be harder. (Especially at the time the microwave oven was développed. I thing the manufacturing tolerances become overly difficult)

1 Like

So, you’re saying that using 5G cell phones makes us more likely to get killed by a tornado? You are REALLY out there! /s

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ever stood in front of the “dimmer banks” in an early 20th century theater when they’re powered up? The one I experienced was in an old USO theater, and I don’t know the technology employed, but the sensation was… unique.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha. They probably think that it will burn your skin and give you cancer, and that you can go blind just from looking at it.

Also, I don’t understand why they want to protect their routers from 5G in the first place.

1 Like