5G conspiracy theorists are selling Faraday cages to put your router in. But there's a problem.

While technically correct that 115 nm is in the low end of the vacuum UV spectrum, those wavelengths and bonds have nothing to do with sunlight-caused skin cancer. For that you’re talking about the disulfide bonds in proteins between 300 and 350-ish nm. Nothing at 115 gets anywhere near the lower atmosphere.

4 Likes

it’s a joke right?

Total bogus, everyone knows holograms are the most effective protection from 5g.

2 Likes

wifi is specifically designed to affect flesh.

I just got let down by Cracked’s workup of how good ‘Society’ (body horror, 1987ish) was supposed to be, but if gilded carbon-fiber cuffs (vambrace modern?) are the new silicone wedding band, you know, maybe this is a thing! I’m all busted up that real (er, 220nm) 10-30W excimer UV-C getting bussed under the throw of UV-C (270nm-330nm and those lenses are no kind of quartz) LEDs, and may as well deliver the Fangoria of the '20s along with Assworthy Fans. nn% for fine art and nn% more pop art to get it there. Fine, NMR-capable, 3D mapping routers…and the graphyne corduroy fashion to tolerate them. [Ahead In Advertising boil grins avariciously.]

Aciantis> 20cm is enough size
You got cheated at the microwave sale, I think? Not to complain about your platings, whole dinner plates should fit inside.

10 Likes

Society isn’t very good but in the aeons since seeing it, I regularly find myself describing all sorts of things as “like the end of Society”. It’s an unexpectedly useful point of reference.

There is actually a use for these - some ISPs give you an insecure wifi router that MUST be used in order to access their network - Verizon FIOS is one.
Put the router in the Faraday cage, and connect your better router via cat 5e - bingo! You have secure wifi, the weak router is unreachable, and to top it off, you are leaving more available bandwidth for other wifi.

2 Likes

I really don’t know where you’re getting that 115nm, the 8.72422e14 Hertz would be 344nm, but it was meant to be a crude approximation to a metric prefix only. As to disulfide bonds, the literature standard for generation of carcinogenic species (free radical) generation is the C-C bond of DNA not protein (and the resulting pyrimidine dimers) (one particular ref among a great many (but sadly only a few by this author))

2 Likes

Ugh. My bad. It’s been a long week and I should have put down the calculator and shut up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not a physicist, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Faraday cages have to be made of copper?

Surely nobody in 2020 has a wireless router without an admin interface where we can turn the radio off

2 Likes

The internal height is about 20 cm I think. I’m working from memory here. I don’t have a microwave.

We handed ours down recently, and are trying to see how long we can go without replacing it. Double boiler FTMFW.

Any conductive material will work. Though the choice of material does matter, and if I’m understanding the implications of the graph on this page correctly, copper would be less effective than some other metals.

1 Like

One of my more crackpot friends made the somewhat-sensible suggestion, that it is very much in the interest for the phone industry to seed and/or promote the utter cranks, because it makes it harder for any real objections (including the operators of weather radars) to gain traction.
I agree it would be in their interests, but I doubt it goes much further than pointing out some of the more idiotic cases, rather than actively creating them.

Looking at the picture of the Faraday cage in the article, I’m guessing that the 10% of wifi signal that is getting out, might be doing so through the hole for the cables.

1 Like

You shouldn’t forget about 2G-5G leading to -3G. But the strong 7G signal caused by the combination of both 5G+2G and 2G+5G sometimes actually shows up as 14G. Physics is complicated, you know.

4 Likes

As others said, any good conductor will do.
But coppers will most probably try to put you in a cage, Faraday or not.

4 Likes

As in we’re all laughing at this, yes it’s a joke. Sadly tho, this is not a joke for many people. It parallels the “alternate facts” we are seeing pop up all around us. This is as real as election fraud, holistic cancer treatment nutritional supplements, or antivax.
The tell-tale signs of bullshit are:
The purveyor of the information is seeking profit.
They pray on public misunderstanding and a fear of the unknown.
They often deliberately manufacture a misinterpretation of actual facts or scientific research.

Save a few bucks…

2 Likes

My aunt lived quite close to a 50 kw broadcast beam (KFI) and would not THINK of a Faraday Cage because she could listen to the station on her dental fillings, saving electricity that a radio would use.

My daughter totally lined her bathroom with tinfoil but that was to reflect the blacklight. She’s better now.

3 Likes

not to pile on, but 5G encompasses a lot more than just millimeter wave at 28 GHz. There are a bunch of new bands opening up below 6GHz. For that matter, there are also bands opening up around 72 GHz.

1 Like

I would imagine that two of those nested (plus however you handle the open face) would give a much tighter effective grid size.

1 Like