US politicians, ranked by their willingness to lie

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

And BTW…welcome to BB!

2 Likes

But with Ben Carson, I wouldn’t do that because I think he’s a liar, I would do that because he’s just so likely to be wrong. I’m sure someone else mentioned this, but it’s less about lying and more about saying things that are true. Rand Paul is crazy but honest, Ben Carson - in my view - is crazier but honester. When people are honestly crazy you hear some pretty weird things coming out of their mouths but they aren’t lying.

Yeah, in a way I’m not surprised to see Clinton so high up on the “truth telling” scale because I think she is pretty good at speaking the language of reality. But if she was elected I think we would “honestly” have more corporatism and more wars.

Which is why I had nothing but incredulity to reply to @Richard_Barno with. Half the people on these forums wouldn’t trust Clinton further than we could throw her, but at this point “Benghazi” is a word signifying the speaker as obsessive. I’d believe in a heartbeat that as Secretary of State Clinton was up to all manner of wrongdoing - selling weapons, supporting coups, whatever. That it happened on a particular day, in a particular place seems like a crazy hill to die on, especially when those hearings made Clinton look so good.

6 Likes

I agree 100%. It has nothing to do with their eating habits.

5 Likes

Isn’t he always running?

He’s stated in earlier interviews that he’d like to go by “First Laddie.”

1 Like

Maybe they just haven’t been spending much time campaigning independently? I can’t recall the last time Trump’s current bride appeared in public, I think he might be hiding her away lest she give his supporters the idea that he’s getting too friendly with immigrants.

In many respects it’s been Trump’s daughter Ivanka filling in the role that the candidate’s wife normally would. She’s the one who was at his side when he first announced his run, she’s the one who has been doing the interview circuit, and she’s the one he apparently wants to bang.

1 Like

Strategically he may prove to be the Democrats’ best friend, but he’s also emboldened his electorate and fellow candidates to engage in stark, borderline hate-speech, propagating a new (and hopefully transient) cultural norm which could unproductively tarnish not just the reputation of our country’s government but that of our society as well.

I hope I haven’t misunderstood your point. Still, I wouldn’t call this outcome a win, regardless of who is elected president.

In many respects it’s been Trump’s daughter Ivanka filling in the role that the candidate’s wife normally would. She’s the one who was at his side when he first announced his run, she’s the one who has been doing the interview circuit, and she’s the one he apparently wants to bang.

That is just so gross in so many ways. Eeeewww.

Do you have an example of this on hand? Becuase, well, perhaps it was him doing that, when it was convenient to make a point. Dontya just hate it when people do that?

1 Like

I agree completely. Trump is revolting on so many levels it’s hard for me to fathom how anyone, anywhere could associate him with “class”.

2 Likes

I want to play: Is it a Trump Palace, or a Baghdad Palace?

2 Likes

To knowingly lie, one would need an understanding of the truth. It appears W. was largely untroubled by such.

Bullshit is another story

3 Likes

I’d like to see one that shows their willingness to mislead/deceive after they’ve been presented with contradictory information.

That’s a step worse than simply being ignorant, and honestly for people in any position of power over others it should be criminal.

2 Likes

I could probably throw her further than I would trust her, but I’m a fairly big guy.

Benghazi was:
a)Really not her fault. Shit happens, and only someone who unreasonably had it in for her would say that shit was her fault.

b)Even if it were her fault, it would be so far down the list of things you could legitimately blame her for (like, say, voting for the Iraq war (roughly 10^5 times as many deaths as Benghazi) and doing everything in her power to help bankers screw the rest of us) that you can tell that the people who are fixated on that are so obsessed with it because in every way that actually matters their favorite politicians are even worse than she is.

6 Likes

From the caption in the NYTimes article:

Too few statements have been fact-checked to include Jim Gilmore, George
E. Pataki and George W. Bush. The number of statements analyzed varies
for each person. Some bars total more or less than 100% because of
rounding.

1 Like

Sen. Warren got a nice mention on the Washington Post’s biggest Pinocchios of the year:

I think they could make a lot of people happy by just addressing issues which earn the “false” and “pants on fire” labels and renaming the column: “These people are lying shitbags.”

But for regular column readers, there’s a fair bit of policy and statistical methods education happening around the “mostly true” area, and I think that’s an important public service, particularly when you consider that many of their readers are themselves journalists.

1 Like

Benghazi? Benghazi.
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi.
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi.
Benghazi Benghazi
Benghazi Benghazi

3 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.