US Senator Al Franken concerned about Pokemon privacy

Very much doubt it. He’s not even being vetted and probably isn’t even in the top five. If Clinton goes progressive, she’ll go with Warren who’s name recognition is much higher and who’s tussled with Trump publicly.

I never said it was “unreasonable”. What I said was that Mr Franken seems to be reacting more to media reports than to current facts.

Sounds like I’m in the wrong. Sorry.

For what it’s worth, as @anon50609448 points out, his questions are as informed and up-to-date as you could hope for when it comes to these issues. In fact, his letter is staggeringly well-informed and up-to-date considering it’s coming from a U.S. Senator.

It’s not like he’s been reading my hysterical reposts of that Ashley Feinberg article. He doesn’t mention CIA zombification of children anywhere.

8 Likes

I am just waiting for a Brock-themed, tinder-like app from the Pokemon Company…

I had a default, “oh God, not more of this BS,” knee-jerk expectation, but in reading the letter it’s actually very fair, asks some good questions worth asking, and takes into account the current iOS fix. For a letter from a Senator it’s incredibly thoughtful and informed.

7 Likes

So you’re Pretty Sure he is seeking attention, but the thing he is responding to is Just Rumours?

1 Like

This letter is good enough, smart enough, and doggone it people like it.

9 Likes

That was my reaction. My first read was that it was the same overreaction to silly rumors I’ve been seeing everywhere. I mis-read it and apologize for my own knee-jerk reaction.

2 Likes

To clarify: I’m Pretty Sure he’s doing a good job of maintaining his image of a consumer advocate and choosing a good time to do so, with Pokemon GO in the news. Al Franken is a smart guy. I’d personally love it if he was vetted for VP, but I doubt that’ll happen.

5 Likes

One item I’d like you to think about, and I give warning on my perspective being from the security / privacy side of the house: How quickly do you think the iOS issues with Pokemon Go would have been fixed if there wasn’t media attention?

Honestly? Pretty quickly. With all of the massive launch issues they’re dealing with, the developers had a fix out there three days after launch, which with the lag time in app store updates means it was already in the works as part of the first update before the media reported on it. The Android version already had the fix in place. It was really only an issue where the app was accidentally requesting things that the API wouldn’t provide. But I see what you’re saying, and the media attention (and the silly rumors) probably helped in the long run to show their responsiveness.

2 Likes

I don’t like all of the CIA rumor crap either, but I do appreciate companies realizing the public doesn’t have a tolerance for these sorts of bugs. From my perspective success would look like the issues being resolved before release and not in the first update.

ETA: (For clarity) That is to say not tolerating known security / privacy issues in the initial release, not that all bugs will be fixed.

2 Likes

'atta boy, Al. Way to go after those all-important political topics.
Maybe after this you can go after Starbucks for making their coffee too hot?

2 Likes

“Senator, can you explain why your inquest didn’t get a serious response?”

“Because I inserted jokes in to it.”

2 Likes

He wasn’t funny as an entertainer either

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.