Using information security to explain why disinformation makes autocracies stronger and democracies weaker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/27/autocracy-loves-confusion.html

6 Likes

14 Likes

barack-obama-true|nullxnull

And they often think they known more than they actually do…

7 Likes

Much of our “common knowledge” throughout the cold war (esp. Vietnam), Mideast conflicts, “War on Terror” was spin, lies of omission or outright lies fed to us by TPTB via compliant media. It is the same today: unsupported claims become “common knowledge” through constant repetition and anyone who goes “off message” is purged from the MSM.

BTW, what do you suppose they mean by this footnote:

39 We note in passing that this provides one possible way of understanding the internal (and perhaps in some cases, to some limited degree, external) attacks on democratic knowledge and expectations that have helped turn countries such as Hungary and Poland into populist democracies.

Are they referring to the current rightist regimes?

3 Likes

Boris Johnson: “As many as 16 per cent of our species have an IQ below 85, while about 2 per cent have an IQ above 130. The harder you shake the pack, the easier it will be for some cornflakes to get to the top.”

Mr Johnson, IQ is great for measuring specific things but trying to boil all intelligence to a single number is folly at best. It’s the sort of thing people use to justify absolutely horrible things.

So please fuck off.

3 Likes

I know enough to know I don’t know enough.

6 Likes

And they often think they known more than they actually do…
[/quote]

1 Like

The difference was that US Cold War propaganda tried to convince the public to believe in a certain set of “facts”. To create certainty and unity behind a policy the government liked. The Bush regime may have lied about Iraq, but it really wanted to convince as many as possible that those WMD:s existed.

The kind of propaganda discussed here has the opposite purpose. It wants to create confusion, deliberately split people into separate groups that don’t trust or even talk to each other. Erase the whole concept of truth as something people can agree on.

(also - do you know where in the world that background image in that graphic was taken? i feel like I’ve seen that place before …)

1 Like

I’ve been assured by top people that it is the middle of nowhere.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.