Utah destroys thousands of gallons of beer

Remind me again to never visit the land of Gary Gilmore.

3 Likes
9 Likes

When it’s nice and cold, sure.

The 21st Amendment, Section 2, leaves huge powers to the states. And a whole lot of states use it as an opportunity for political graft, Texas being probably the worst in the universe of alcohol sales.

Section 2.

The transportation or importation into any state, territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

It’s a rare case that’s narrowed an almost arbitrary power down at all. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granholm_v._Heald – where the Supreme Court held that it was unconstitutional for a state to allow in-state shipment of wine, but prohibit shipment of wine from out-of-state. (Granholm is also kind of cool because of the odd mix of who was on which side of the 5-4: Majority of Kennedy/Scalia/Souter/Ginsburg/Breyer (striking down those laws), Dissent of Stevens/Thomas/Rehnquist/O’Conner (upholding them))

6 Likes

On the one hand, blue laws are a hallmark of ass-backwards religious authoritarians. On the other hand, it’s sometimes reassuring to know Texas isn’t the most ass-backwards state in the union. On the gripping hand, at last it wasn’t whiskey. Messing with whiskey has a history of starting rebellions.

14 Likes

Beer just hasn’t had it’s day, yet.

Wasting even one bottle of Pliny the Elder, for example, could set off an international conflict.

7 Likes

HomerVs18thAmendment

We can recover [from] this…

8 Likes

That’s 8 percent ABV. Only beers between 4 and 5% percent were subject to destruction.

1 Like

6 Likes

The Zion Curtains fell a while ago.

6 Likes

The horror. The horror.

3 Likes

The thing that drives me crazy about Blue Laws is that they are so resistant to repeal. Even in this case it’s literally a 1% change in an arbitrary threshold in a law that has no reason to exist in the first place.

6 Likes

Somebody should have showed up with a mouse in a bottle, and claimed that beer.

6 Likes

275 cases of beer on the wall!
275 cases of beer!
Take one down, open it up, and remove one of the bottles, pop it open and pass it around…
274.9167 cases of beer on the wall!

12 Likes

Stares stares stares… Checks file: jpeg. Dieu damné des navets de tracteurs!

Huh. I guess they’ve advanced from the bronze ages to the dark ages.

5 Likes

fify hoser.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find it’s actually: 274.95833333333 cases. (Assuming the standard 24 can case)

3 Likes

Where are the libertarians when it comes to idiotic liquor laws? Since the Prohibition there are scores of weird arcane laws that are ripe for (shudder) disruption and simplification. But we never hear about libertarians going after those stupid laws.

6 Likes

I was assuming a 12 can case.

1 Like