Utah destroys thousands of gallons of beer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/14/utah-destroys-thousands-of-gal.html

3 Likes

Alcohol abuse.

Puritanical assholes.

25 Likes

andy-richter-wasteful

28 Likes
23 Likes

Just cutting out the middle man.

25 Likes

Does that mean that someone had to sit there and open them all to pour out the contents? Repetitive-stress-injury worker’s comp case, coming up! (Do they have worker’s comp in Utah? Are there automated machines for opening bottles and cans? So many questions…)

9 Likes

Oh, the humanity!

8 Likes

Fucking stupid and wasteful. If you’re just going to dump out the beer because it can be sold in grocery stores, give it to grocery stores instead.

30 Likes

Worker with openers would probably have to take the caps off the bottles, but the rest is machinery to lift them out of the cases, clean and sterilize them.

The cans? Probably into a crusher with a good drain.

275 cases is only a few palettes. I’ve seen more than that knocked over by a forklift.

Of course, there might be some shrinkage in the amount of beer…

20 Likes

21 Likes

Hey, I could have been that middle-man. Don’t cut me out! :wink:

20 Likes

Hell, give it to some debt strapped college students.

21 Likes

Honestly that’s the better idea.

7 Likes

Those monsters!

11 Likes

Utah also has a rule (or did last I was there) that bars can’t sell you a draft beer that’s over the alcohol limit (was 4%, I guess 5% now). But they could sell you a beer in a bottle that was higher octane.

2 Likes

Also in Utah, it’s illegal to mix drinks at a bar that’s visible to the customer. Have to mix them behind a blind of some kind.

Most moralizing patronizing bullshite of a state. The mormon church is a pox, no matter how nice and decent mormon people sometimes are.

15 Likes

Liquor laws are an arbitrary, tangled mess in pretty much every state. For example, almost every state has a “three-tier” system where beer, wine, and liquor manufacturers and suppliers can’t sell directly to the customer. They must sell it to a wholesaler, who must sell it to a retailer, who can sell it to you. But exemptions are made, such as the one in Texas which allows manufacturers to sell to individuals at “marine mammal attractions.” That was, of course, necessary after Anheuser-Busch bough SeaWorld San Antonio.

22 Likes

Brigham Young University just a couple of years ago made radical change of selling caffeinated soda in their dining halls. Bluto has nothing on these party animals!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/22/552894537/for-the-first-time-in-decades-caffeinated-sodas-on-sale-at-byu-dining-halls

6 Likes

My gripes with the state of Utah are more about the fact that their state legislators will openly say shit in session like “I’ll have to check with the church authorities before I can support this bill”, than with specific liquor laws.

The mormon church is just as bad as the catholic church, except it’s not been around as long so there’s a numeric discrepancy in the level of atrocities.

20 Likes

It’s time for Kevin Bacon to throw a kegger in the barn!

9 Likes