Venture capitalists are putting on their own Olympics—with steroids allowed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/01/venture-capitalists-are-putting-on-their-own-olympics-with-steroids-allowed.html

3 Likes

Oh no, they’ve just taken this viral tweet and decided to make it real

13 Likes

I’m far from sure that VCs would be worse than we already know the IOC is; and the upstart event would lack the obnoxious legitimizing mythology weaponized by the big show to get what it wants.

8 Likes

I’mma go and make my own Olympics…
bender-futurama

26 Likes

I’m more interested in a sporting competition where VC bros take a bunch of steroids then compete until their hearts explode.

The winner is humanity.

25 Likes

Man, billionaires just don’t ever have original ideas, do they?

28 Likes

Am I to assume that this is where Musk and Zuck are going to slug it out, then?

9 Likes

I don’t think that steroids are a good idea or should be allowed in athletic competitions but I admit that it would be tricky to explain exactly why.

(Yeah, obviously they’re unhealthy and dangerous for the athletes but so are a lot of types of physical training that they go through. Don’t tell me that training to be a champion weightlifter, sumo wrestler or gymnast is good for your body long-term.)

14 Likes

Honest to God, I had the exact same thought.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Thank you for saving me the trouble of searching up this clip, which is why I entered these here comments.

2 Likes

How on earth do they expect this to work?

Any serious athlete competing at high levels is subject to significant anti doping policies and procedures. So if you join this you’re out of the normal competitions for the rest of your career after this league is bankrupt.

Most of these drugs are controlled and doctors can’t just give them to you without facing significant liability. Plus wouldnt the organizers face liability if they encouraged drugs that do harm?

And despite their goal to “Show the world that Science is real” that’s already known by ethical mds and scientists who undertand the legitimate uses (and dosing) of these drugs, but would never support their use in a risky/ harmful way for entertainment.

I just dont see them attracting the greatest talent to something like this…

19 Likes

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Just had to make sure this was here…

1 Like

Peter Thiel…of course…

11 Likes

C’mon, I figured they would call it the Bro-lympics!

10 Likes

I look forward to the “agony of defeat” footage. There should be no shortage of mascots to help with the cleanup! :smiling_imp:

Nat Geo Wild Vulture GIF by Savage Kingdom

:popcorn:

9 Likes

Keeping in mind the “it’s only doping after a ruling declared it illegal” arms race between advanced sports medicine and the regulatory bodies of established competitions I somehow can’t get worked up about this. Bread and circuses.

10 Likes

Not real sport until Saudi PIF invests.

4 Likes

It sounds as if they hope to attract a bunch of failed athletes who are desperate to win by any means necessary and willing to burn their bridges with the mainstream athletics world. The “fastest man in the world” who they spotlight in their tweet can only be fastest by doping and he doesn’t care that nobody outside the “enhanced athletics” community will recognise his title.

5 Likes