Verizon support rep admits anti-Netflix throttling

Complaints to the FCC. LOL.

Try writing Santa to ask for net neutrality back… it will be more effective.

But Netflixs doesn’t stream from the cloud. They stream from boxes they own. Now, they do all the management, setup, monitoring, transcoding, etc, on Amazon, but the videos are not streamed from there.

Ha!! Knew it!! Or strongly guessed it. I have a Sonly Blu-Ray player and Netflix has become a stuttering piece of crap when I stream to it. But Amazon Prime streams just fine. On my PCs it’ll just drop from HD to standard video. :frowning:

Curious if anyone’s done tests with their routers. My phone can connect to any WiFi hotspot & get webpages fairly quick. At home it becomes painfully slow. But my PCs chug along like champs on the WiFi router from Verizon. Truly, I believe they’re doing something with their router. Like they’re trying to get me to pay for Quantum because they play games with the net & the router.

As far as YouTube there’s a set of IP address you can block through your computer’s firewall. Did it with my laptop. While the rest of the family can have issues once in awhile, YouTube works like a champ for me. Would have blocked the address via the router, but I don’t trust Verizon. (If I didn’t have to have land line service through them I’d have my own WiFi router.) In blocking those IP addresses it forces your PC to grab the video directly from YouTube.

My own phone will go to a crawl with webpages when I try to use the WiFi in my house. When I use WiFi as Starbucks with my phone it’s noticeably faster. FIOS is sweet but they are playing games with their customers.

If nobody at all complains, then the FCC will take it that customers are fine, if not happy, not having net neutrality. Simply bitching on a blog does nothing. It’s just like trying to keep Congress from passing terrible laws. One cranky letter from a constituent goes straight into the circular file. Postal bags of cranky letters, reams of angry emails and the phones ringing off the hooks all on the same subject get the Congresscritter’s attention, regardless of who bankrolled their last campaign.

I remember the FCC passing hugely unpopular media conglomeration laws… and here they remain, after an overwhelming majority of folks were against it. Unpopular decisions are the norm for the FCC.

They are presidential appointees… and don’t care about votes, or you and me. Historically. They do seem to love big business however. They have no transparency either. I’m not sure how you gain leverage over those people, but I seriously doubt a million phonecalls, emails, and letters would do anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.