Video explores why fake Rolexes are so realistic

It really needs a Robin Leach voice over.

3 Likes

Seriously. The clock on my $100 phone is NTP synchronised to an atomic clock. And I’m not about to sail solo across the Atlantic.

1 Like

I’d rather hear a Tommy Cooper voiceover.
Not like that, like that.

1 Like

not to be too snarky, but you realize that pocket watches are pre-WW1 tech?
nobody wears waistcoats anymore, so your phone is in your pants pocket. so if you’re sitting down, you have to stand up. then pull it out. then turn it on. then you know what time it is.
wristwatches replaced all that because all you have to do is glance down and maybe tilt your wrist.
now, if you have structured your life to where you don’t need to check the time much, more power to you. no argument with that. I’m not saying it’s wrong to keep a timepiece in your pocket, I’m saying it fell out of favor for good reasons.
for me, it’s the wristwatch. getting a rolex is right out. even a fake is not super important (but kinda funny.) but a cheap, reliable, nice looking watch is $20-30 US. if you don’t want nice looking, Casio F91W is less than $12.

3 Likes

It’ll perform better than a Rolex.

5 Likes

Might wanna watch this or you could be out 12 bucks.

What’s hilarious to me is the guy doesn’t even notice that the fake screen is ridiculously crooked.

11 Likes

Fake F-91Ws? Why would anybody fake a watch you can get on Amazon for less than $14? Seems like it wouldn’t be cost effective at all to counterfeit.

6 Likes

“That’s a pretty neat idea”

2 Likes

So you’re saying you don’t “pretty much just hit print”? But the English accent makes him sound so convincing.

2 Likes

In the early 1980’s I had a temporary assignment in Houston Texas and was around a number of fairly wealthy people. I was able to see various both real and fake Rolex watches, and to my untrained eye was impressed at how good they were. By the way, the people did not buy them in dark alleys, but rather from various local jewelers who could supply them upon request. Some of the people had both real and fake ones, and would wear the fake ones to parties or nightclubs or when on vacation just on the chance they might get robbed.

4 Likes

there’s thousands of options, but look into high(er) end Seiko and Citizen.
there’s really good value in the microbrand scene now.
also, the chinese “homage” brands San Martin and Steel Dive only make stuff that look like popular expensive models but with their own branding and with good build quality and respectable movements. some are offered with a “sterile” dial, without any branding at all.
Cadisen is another brand like that but unsure how the quality stacks up compared with the previous two.

1 Like

30 years ago, the tourist guides in Hong Kong recommended getting the silver fake Rolexes; the gold ones would turn your wrists green.

I stopped wearing wristwatches for a while, because I usually was in front of a computer screen with the time on it, or at least had my cellphone in my pocket, but these days I’m wearing a Fitbit, and I’ve gotten used to having the time on my wrist again.

2 Likes

Welcome to the modern economy. “Fake” items are often just the factory in China running a third shift to sell on the grey market without paying the original company the license fee and without QA. It seems like peanuts to us, but is a lot of money to the guys doing it.

3 Likes

The fake F91W in the video is an imitation, not a “third shift” product

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.