Vintage photo of a library shelf catastrophe

Originally published at: Vintage photo of a library shelf catastrophe | Boing Boing

2 Likes

always wanted to know how many takes that scene from The Mummy took

video link maybe

oop, got my answer (wow):

The library disaster was done in one take. It would have taken an entire day to re-shoot if a mistake had been made.

5 Likes

more info from the library itself

On September 8th, at 5:10 p.m., 18 double-faced magazine storage stacks collapse on the Main Library’s balcony. The stacks contain between 50,000 and 80,000 magazines and books. Over $12,200 worth of materials are damaged. No staff or patrons are injured in the unusual catastrophe. The Library closed at 6 p.m. and stayed closed the next day for the safety of the public. A photograph of the damage appears in Wilson Library Bulletin.

Library pages wage is $1 per hour.

7 Likes

Leaving Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

4 Likes

Ooooooh, deary me.

1 Like

It looks like there are two u-channel braces that ran across the top of the stacks. So however it happened, I think they probably all went over at the same time.

From what I hear, sexy things happen in the stacks… I’d like to believe that was the cause rather than malice.

1 Like

i’d guess people kept standing on the bottom shelves, one maybe got pinched, and then eventually – when it buckled – the shelf pulled the whole frame down.

i know at grocery stores, shelves are normally hung independently, so the shelf itself doesn’t become part of the load bearing structure. when one breaks you get a mess, but not a catastrophe.

4 Likes

1971 is “vintage”?

Yeesh!

8 Likes

More than half a century ago? Yeah, definitely

2 Likes

Ro No GIF by Rosanna Pansino

winona-ryder-confused-maths

And yet, it is… more than half a century…

Sad Season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

5 Likes

If you prefer to think of it another way, 1971 is as close to the end of WW1 as it is to next year

2 Likes

I would prefer not, thanks

Also the Apollo 11 moon landing was closer to WW1 than today.

dying GIF

7 Likes

Bads news for whoever ended up Deweying the cleanup.

7 Likes

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Fox Tv Crying GIF by ScreamQueens

2 Likes

Boomer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.