Vinyl records now outselling CDs

Most of the CDs I have bought recently have been second hand, and ripped to FLAC before being put into storage. You can’t do that easily with vinyl and streaming is too incomplete for my tastes.

6 Likes

my high frequency hearing is probably bad even for a middle aged man, so I’m “one to talk.” CDs are twice the frequency because of digital sampling theory, not because they have insane amounts of headroom. To reproduce 22.05 kHz, you’ve got to digitize and store it at 44.1 kHz.

4 Likes

It doesn’t work like that.

5 Likes

That’s the thing- it was bad then. Streaming services will take their cut, the label takes their percentage of what little the streamer pays out, and the artist finds themselves needing millions of streams to buy lunch.

2 Likes

I try to buy band merch when i can, my preference is shirts or hoodies but i have gotten CDs before. Often the artist will burn the CDs themselves which i don’t mind, the best i’ve seen was my fave band Rasputina. The lead of the band recorded and burned on a limited stock of CDs some rare songs of theirs and signed them, you could only buy it in person at a show which i was more than glad to spend money on.

I tend to just buy the audio files from Bandcamp these days. I don’t like Spotify or any other streaming service but I don’t have room for CDs in my place.

This is why I love Bandcamp and other independent online retailers. I get the FLAC files whenever they’re offered.

4 Likes

Without any discernible reduction in reproduction quality, either.

I keed, I keed.

5 Likes

In other relevant news, Model Ts are still outselling buggy whips, and laserdiscs are still slightly ahead of 8-tracks.

I think buggy whips are outselling Model Ts, because buggy whips are still being made in limited numbers. The last Model T rolled off the production line over 90 years ago.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Moreover, traveling by horse is superior to traveling by car.

3 Likes

Don’t even joke about that. I thought vinyl was heavy.
Someone donated a crate of shellac jazz records to my local thrift store. Right in front of me the clerk took the crate off the table and set it down on the floor, dropping it the last six inches or so. The bottom inch of every record turned to dust.

3 Likes

My shellac (plus floof).

3 Likes

Vinyl with DRM-free FLAC digital download. Best of both worlds.

But, 30 minutes later, you could download it for free

But not signed.

I could easily find the rarities online, but as a fan of the band it’s a great way to support them and get something special

2 Likes

“And, um, how much of that 85% goes to the artists creating the music?”

Spotify pays out the majority of its revenue to the labels. Based on any numbers that I have ever seen, a larger percentage of what end users pay arrives at the labels than used to be the case with physical distribution.

So I don’t understand the constant complaints about the streaming services as the problem.

1 Like

Let me know when 3 stripe colour film comes back!

Thanks for your comment.

Apart from records “vinyl” having vastly better specs than CD it’s good not to miss out on the fact that there is so much music and audio archived on this format that has not been digitised. If anyone is truly into listening to the history of recorded music then this is a technology that can’t be ignored.

I suspect that many that weigh into the digital v analogue debate actually haven’t gone the hard yards and used their ears or are not even thinking about the archiving of audio/music history.

I understand the negative sentiments toward hipsters and audiophiles, but that totally misses the point of loving this medium.

1 Like

Streaming, vinyl, CDs. Are the remaining channels insignificant to those? Compulsory license fees for radio airplay, jukeboxes, music videos on cable TV, … Is any of that relevant anymore?