Viral 'speed archery' video mostly shows how gullible the internet is

I’ve noticed the same principle applied to running. Back in high school when I would run competitively (granted, I was quite middle-of-the-pack in ability), there were certainly some incredibly fast people at XC meets with terrible form. Just nonsensical, goofy-looking form that was all wrong.

But, you know, even when you look stupid while running, the girls will still be impressed when you come in way ahead of everyone else.

3 Likes

We noticed :wink:

2 Likes

Stop calling things ‘Zen’!

Zen is a state of mind so inexpressible that calling something Zen immediately invalidates its Zen-ness by defining Zen. Bringing somethingness to nothingness.

(Don’t blame me: this is what the Zen folks say. Personally, I’m not a fan.)

8 Likes

So either this is a belated attempt at balance, or it’s the skeptic side of BoingBoing versus the neato happy mutant side.

I shall stick with the happy mutants and just enjoy the video.

7 Likes

I will not idly stand by and let geekdad’s mansplanation ruin how cool that video was.

11 Likes

All I know is that if the video wasn’t CGI-ed then I remain impressed.

8 Likes

I applaud you! With one hand naturally.

7 Likes

fwiw, he admits in his videos that he misses a lot (but who would want to watch THAT??) – and according to Snopes, because of this recent “furor,” he’s considering producing a high-def video to prove that he knows what he’s talking about and that there’s no fakery going on here. as for whether or not he’s historically accurate, there sure seems to be plenty of old illustrations showing archers holding their weapons the same way.

11 Likes

Its internet experts all the way down

15 Likes

No, they just had some space to fill, while they’re working on yet another Haunter Mansion story.

3 Likes

English clout shot archery goes for both range and accuracy. Byzantine tactical manuals imply long archery ranges, though Syrianus Magister’s manual only discusses training for power, accuracy, and rate of fire, not range or judging range. Most manuals also put the archers behind the protection of the heavy infantry. Note the short draw distances in the video, which limit power and therefore also range.

2 Likes

I agree, some of the video is obviously edited, and hard to believe he can hit a pull tab or a knife etc, and yet there are a number of continuous shots, where he shoots several targets in succession. Plus the tone of the author is a bit harsh and snotty, " ie Lars is good at shooting fast, but… probably can’t hit anything accurately more than 20yards. How does he know this? The take-down strikes me as childish, unnecessarily agressive " look he can’t even throw a ball" and when running looks more like the starwars kid?" He’s fast but that’s not really archery.
I’d like to see archery coach geekdad up against Lars anytime.
Somebody’s got their jealous archery pants on.

10 Likes

As my friend would always respond when I pointed this out to others, “That’s so Zen.”

3 Likes

the mongols also shot in quick succession, and were able to hit flying birds etc. They were not militarily insignificant either.

4 Likes

And they had crazy, non euclidean architecture that didn’t obey the laws of perspective. You can learn as lot by studying old art. Makes Frank Gehry look old hat, once you remember this one weird architecture trick.

Seriously? You can watch that guy jump off a rock, and think he’s athletic? I thought this was a joke video.

But, hey, if FoodArcheryBabeDude said it, why argue, right?

2 Likes

Get back to us when you can perform all of his “unathletic” shots…

5 Likes

Just look at this guy who smuggled a banana into the Haunted Mansion.

12 Likes

Reluctantly, I am forced to click the ‘like’ button on this.

2 Likes