Virginia family found $1 million cash in the middle of the road

The US Postal Service has its own federal law enforcement arm. When the Trumpy buddies are done dismantling the USPS, will UPS or FedEx be granted a right to have their own law enforcement? Like the railroads (still) do?

5 Likes

How do I get myself and a million in found cash to Costa rica? Charter plane? Can I leave tonight?

I’m sure it wasn’t. I don’t think keeping it would even occur to me in such a situation, and unlike in the movies most people are probably the same. There’s just no scenario where keeping it is a net positive for a family. Best case scenario they get away with it and live in fear of being discovered and jailed for the rest of their lives. The worst case scenario is said imprisonment at the hands of the government or something worse at the hands of the money owners if it was organised crime (though it seems rather obvious from the packaging alone that this was something official rather than clandestine).

2 Likes

Well, it was four bags, with three bags turned over to the police. I’m sure the chain from there is obvious, of course.

You buy a LOT of postage stamps.

1 Like

Its been done before. There are a lot of great movies have been made from crappy novels. Jaws, The Godfather, The Graduate and Ordinary People come to mind.

2 Likes

3 Likes

But they did the right thing.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

2 Likes

Correction to yesterday’s headline: Sheriff’s department clarifies that the family found 2 empty, white sacks.

3 Likes

Examples of good books made into good movies are hard to come by. The one that comes to mind for me (especially considering the topic) is No Country For Old Men, but your mileage might vary.

Good movies made out of bad books are easier to find, and bad movies made out of good books are all over the place.

1 Like

I can think of two good movies from good books that omitted large sections of the original novel for concise storytelling: LA Confidential & Wuthering Heights (Olivier/Leigh version),

4 Likes

If you find $50 and turn it in, that’s admirable.

If you find $1million in cash, you’d be dumb not to go to the police, because there’s a fair chance you just accidentally stole a million dollars from a drug cartel.

I don’t know why I immediately pictured sack after sack of wide-eyed fan mail addressed to Cher

1 Like

And then your name is in the file, and the cartel needs to recover the money from somebody…

There is no really safe course of action. Best keep on driving by.

The Black Stallion

1 Like

I wouldn’t say the books were bad, just not that memorable.

Jaws did sell an awful lot of books, before the movie.

But I’ve read “The Anderson Tapes”, “The Taking of Pellham 1-2-3” , “The Eiger Sanction”, “Six Days of the Condor”, and “Ordinary People” . This was after they 'd been made into movies. My first thought was “They made that into a movie?”

But it makes sense. They use ideas from the book, a movie can’t be a direct translation, and make it into something more memorable than the book. I read all those books because I found them at used book sales,and knew about the movies.

On the other hand, take a well known book and many will object to the movied-version, because the book dominates.

3 Likes

That’s… not too far off from what my hair looks like now.

1 Like

The plot of No Country for Old Men, right?

WHO CENSORED ROGER RABBIT?, the book they took WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? from was a wretched mess, with ungainly festoons of creaky devices (explained at far too much length) and forgettable details. It’s been long enough I’m not sure now, but it seems to me it was more about printed comics than animation. But somebody saw the possibilities in a bare plot outline, threw out the needless crap and filled the rest with classic characters and innovative live/animated blending, and used good actors. I’m glad the book exists, because it led to the movie, but what a stinkeroo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.