Voter rights

'20. Spell backwards, forwards.

I still have no idea what they’re actually asking here but I’m absolutely sure that if they wanted to they can find my answer wrong.

4 Likes

We should all meet privately somewhere and agree to stay on topic!

1 Like

Let me guess. You’re a white dude?

12 Likes
7 Likes

I would have failed that with flying colours.

3 Likes

I completely agree.

However, accepting that statement means that “too many morons voting” can’t be used as an excuse for “why my candidate did not win”.

2 Likes

If you weren’t “coloured” and could be relied upon to support racism, they would not have given you the test.

4 Likes

And that is where the racism part comes in, not in existence of tests themselves.

Health care should be a human right. Voting is way down the list.

I would phrase it as self-determination should be a human right, and voting is only as useful as anything else that is a means to that end. I personally feel that voting and democracy are fetishized to an unhealthy extent, and are essentially meaningless without a pre-existing set of assumptions that allow those tools to be useful.

4 Likes

Traditionally, voting is the right that guarantees the others. The fact that it’s been degraded so badly across much of America had a significant role in creating the current mess.

The incumbent Dems stood by and did fuck-all while the red-state working class were functionally disenfranchised.

6 Likes

Before going to those lengths, how about fixing it so that people who live in cities count as much as rural voters.

And/or fix the fact that the electoral college can defy the popular vote to the tune of millions.

6 Likes

I think you mean, can you suggest a good search term.

6 Likes

Fuck. That. Noise.

ETA: I see plenty of others have explained why it’s a bullshit idea. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Are you white? You would have passed. Are you black? You would have failed. It’s really that simple.

7 Likes

Did I use it? I might think someone is uninformed, but that doesn’t mean they are necessarily a moron. I know plenty of people who voted for Trump and I strongly disagree, but that’s part of the democratic process and I respect that. I do think that there were forces outside of the voters control shaping the election unfairly.

6 Likes

And yet, this is how they were used. Voting is a human right, not a “smart person” right.[quote=“kizontije, post:29, topic:95736”]
Health care should be a human right. Voting is way down the list.
[/quote]

Both are human rights, actually.

9 Likes

Oh boy did you fail. You started a thread about voter tests without knowing that the US has a rich and colorful history of this sort of thing, and there’s a damn good reason why we don’t use voter tests anymore. Even if my standards were shockingly low enough to forgive not knowing this piece of information that literally every American is required to know in order to graduate eighth grade, the fact that you didn’t see the glaringly obvious ways in which a voter test can be twisted only indicate that you are not participating in this conversation in good faith.

8 Likes

But you’re suggesting that ignorance should disqualify people from participating in our democracy.

So by your own reasoning, why the hell should we care what you have to say?

8 Likes

That is exactly what I am suggesting. My ignorance should definitely prevent me from voting in a U.S. election. And you probably shouldn’t care what I say, anyway.

Then you run a risk of ignoramuses, like yours truly, swaying the election in potentially scary directions. Now, you either accept that as the cost of democracy, or work to correct it. Luckily, there is a long term cure for ignorance, so as we get educated, things get better.

In the short term, suppression of stupid is the only thing that could work. I do understand now that testing brings emotional images of gross injustice from the past. So, no tests. Any other ideas?

And now, I have to run.

You vastly underestimate the human ability for making excuses.

4 Likes