Vox lawyers censored YouTubers who criticized The Verge's PC build videos

But aren’t those things either out of copyright, or licensed?

1 Like

Yeah, the main problem here seems to be that the “reaction videos” were showing the entire Verge video. As an analogy, if you recorded a complete major league baseball game and then put your face in the corner commenting on the game, you couldn’t just post that to youtube. That’s not how fair-use works.

On the other hand, every media savvy company should have standing instructions to their legal team that you don’t send any “takedown notices” without consulting senior management. If management says “oops, legal acted without our knowledge”, then they’ve failed as managers.

1 Like

Is that… George Takei’s severed head, swinging in the breeze?

1 Like

I acknowledged that. I was saying that this is a useful device.

I remember seeing a build video where the guy was installing the power supply upside down. It was still kinda useful if you mentally corrected the mistakes, but probably shouldn’t have been put up in the first place.

Haven’t watched 'em yet, but I can see Nilay un-aging 18 years as soon as Verge reassert that their legal rationale for the strike was “Striking White PC Build Supremacy with a Baseball Bat.” [Tried CTF server roulette, got a flavor.]

2 Likes

From a couple of years experience building PCs for a living, I’m pretty sure that the original PC would still have run just fine. Sure, they might have done everything wrong, but these days computers are a lot more foolproof than they used to be…
No antistatic strap? pfft, we tried scuffing our feet for five minutes on a nylon carpet to try and make the biggest spark possible onto a mother board and it still worked fine.
Too much/not enough thermal paste? I’d be surprised if it made more than ten degrees difference to the final temperatures, which if you’re overclocking would be horrifying, but the worst that will happen is the CPU will start throttling and youtube will get a bit choppy. (The temp at which an Intel i5 starts slowing down is 100°C, ie boiling point)
Memory in the wrong slot? Dual channel memory makes about 5% difference at most to the memory speeds, it’s pretty difficult for the average person to notice any effect without measuring/benchmarking tools.
PSU upside-down? Most PSUs have thermal shut off as well, and even thent they need surprisingly little airflow. I once used my PSU to suck air through a radiator to cool my CPU, and that worked, (not brilliantly I admit, but nothing exploded).
Did you know that you can drop a harddrive from head height onto a solid floor, and it’ll survive just fine? Or that a motherboard will actually run just fine, even if you’ve accidentality knocked one of the capacitors off?

Sure, someone making an instruction video should aspire to do better, but people think of building a PC as something that you should only do if you really know what you’re doing and you’ve done loads of resource, when they people in factories and production lines actually building your PCs are about as non technical as you can get.

6 Likes

I used to build PCs for a living. Clearly if I decided to build my own again I’d need to do some extra research about things like how ram likes to be paired (back in the day two slots side by side was preferred) as well as that some of the PCI slots may not be the fastest kind for the video card.

Though I did know his thermal paste game was garbage. You just need a pea sized dollop.

2 Likes

Why primarily by racism? It seems to be mostly driven by how easy it is to generate a buck with drama/reaction videos, and that video is a prime target.

I wouldn’t doubt it, and I would even say the most prominent people earning money through reaction/drama videos tend to be super racist, I was just wondering if there was context that isn’t captured here.

I’m not going to argue your other points since I don’t have any evidence to support my position, but I have absolutely dropped a hard drive onto a concrete floor, and while it did remain a hard drive, it most definitely did not work as one afterwards.

6 Likes

Ok, it was only one harddrive, onto a wooden floor, and it only had to work long enough to have an image put on it, get QC’s and was then sent out to a customer. I certainly wouldn’t go around doing it to any of my hard drives, not ones with data I actually want.

Oh, and the problem with getting RAM working as dual channel is that you pretty much have to check the motherboard manual for each different chipset, and then make sense of the confusing instructions they give you. For example:
That’s the sole instructions from my motherboard, I’m pretty sure it means that I need to use either A2 and B2, or A1 and B1. At least most servers have a diagram inside the lid telling you the order to populate all the slot in.

1 Like

I had a laptop fall off my motorcycle and cartwheel down the road at 60km/h. It ground about half an inch off each corner of the case as it tumbled.

All that was required to fix it was to plug the screen connection back in; it had been jarred loose. The rest of it was fine.

1 Like

It can do. The amount of the work used is only one of the factors that determines whether something is fair use. But, generally, the less you use, the more likely it is that your use will be found to be fair.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.