Read, read, ah there it is:

Audacity’s new owners, The Muse Group

But is the CEO a prince of Korea?

2 Likes

Ugh!

i dont want to live on this planet anymore GIF

3 Likes
4 Likes

I really do think the pearl clutching about Audacity smacks of US based propaganda regarding anything related to Russia.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Cybercriminals took advantage of WFH to target financial services companies, say financial bods

Criminals targeted security gaps at financial services firms as their staff moved to working from home, according to a report issued by the international Financial Stability Board (FSB) on Tuesday.

[…]

The report [PDF] is a preliminary take on the pandemic’s impact on financial stability. A follow-up report to outline next steps is scheduled for October.

2 Likes
3 Likes

“Hey Siri, what is the difference between a sandbox and a litterbox?”

3 Likes

Hungary-based game developer Gaijin Entertainment found themselves in a tactically difficult position last week when a user of their combat simulator War Thunder tried to win an online argument by sharing classified documents in the company’s game forums.

The unfortunate security breach came during an online debate over the game’s representation of the British Challenger 2 main battle tank, with different factions of users debating the various merits of the version in the game compared with its real-life equipment and record.

A user named Fear_Naught then decided to end the debate around the War Thunder Challenger 2’s armour and its relative vulnerability to being hit around the turret ring, or the point where a tank’s turret is mounted to its hull.

To this end, he shared a number of pages from the tank’s Army Equipment Support Publication (AESP), a form of user manual for military personnel who have to work with the vehicle.

[…]

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Mh-ch4-0-1-grossman-and-bryce

Bryce Lynch: “I mean, you know, I only invent the bomb, I don’t drop it. Ha ha.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

Typical lightly researched Forbes hyperbole. (Yes it’s a nasty bug but the reporting here is the most shocking thing about it.) It reads like it’s exposing plaintext passwords but it’s only hashes. Yes, you can use these hashes to elevate privileges but it’s not really the same thing. It looks like it was introduced relatively recently and can be easily patched.

5 Likes

Iranian state-backed hackers posed as flirty Scouser called Marcy to target workers in defence and aerospace

Iranian state-backed hackers posed as a flirty Liverpudlian aerobics instructor in order to trick defence and aerospace workers into revealing secrets, according to a newly-published study.

[…]

1 Like

Yet another thing xkcd was right about.

10 Likes

A diceware passphrase is my go to when i want something random but relatively easy to remember though a minimum of six words should probably be the goal if it’s at all important - like your password manager because you only need the one to get in. None of that using song lyrics or quotes and changing the letters to numbers nonsense, password crackers trying to obtain the hashes or whatever are well on to that.

https://theworld.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

4 Likes

6 Likes

Poly Network, a Chinese software biz that processes cryptocurrency transactions across different blockchain platforms, urged hackers to return $600m worth of stolen digital cash in what it called the “biggest [attack] in DeFi history.”

DeFi stands for decentralised finance. Protocols like Poly Network allow cryptocurrency traders to exchange digicash across various blockchains; they can be used to swap Bitcoin for Ethereum, for example. The company announced it had been hacked on Tuesday after a miscreant drained hundreds of millions of dollars worth of digital assets stored using its technology.

[…]

2 Likes