Vulnerabilities

If the English language were to be destroyed, and I could save but 10 words, ‘boffin’ would be one of them.

2 Likes

i went to london once for some reason they get annoyed when i talk like this. lonely planet told me to learn the local phrases “mate”

Amadeus! Amadeus! Pwn me Amadeus! Airline check-in bug may have exposed all y’all boarding passes to spies

1 Like

Patch now before you get your NAS kicked: Iomega storage boxes leave millions of files open to the internet

Let’s open the Mystery Data Security Blunder box, and see what’s inside today… Ah! Hotel reservations and more

“AI”-based antivirus can be fooled by malware wearing a meatsuit to make it look like a good program.

“Their crime is not that they coded AI poorly. Their crime is calling what they did AI."

Roger that!

1 Like

DataSpii (pronounced data-spy) denotes the catastrophic data leak that occurred via eight Chrome and Firefox browser extensions (see Table 1). This leak exposed personal identifiable information (PII) and corporate information (CI) on an unprecedented scale, impacting millions of individuals. The collected data was then made available to members of an unnamed service, which we refer to in our report as Company X . Both paid and trial members of this service had access to the leaked data. After we reported our findings to Google and Mozilla, the browser vendors remotely disabled the extensions. Furthermore, the online service is now defunct.

Spoiler: “Company X” refers to Nacho Analytics

1 Like

“Hey, wouldn’t this data file format be a lot cooler if we allowed it to execute arbitrary Python code?!”
“Yeah, let’s do it! What’s the worst that could happen?”

Someone caught the same disease as Microsoft.

6 Likes

Is this still unpatched? O_o

Ah, I cut my IT teeth troubleshooting the prank macro (or “wazu,” as we knew it) over the phone with customers.

1 Like

What’s the last piece of software you’d expect to spy on you? Maybe your enterprise security suite? Bad news

1 Like

I’m glad to see my teenage daughter is wary of all things internet.

(Seemed like the appropriate place to post this)

9 Likes

Was this designed broken?

2 Likes

Every time I read about these sorts of weaknesses in WiFi and cellular data networks, I can’t help but think that these sort of “oopsies” were intentional. Mass-market crypto for consumers always seems to be compromised in some way.

2 Likes

Not very Suprema: Biometric access biz bares 27 million records and plaintext admin creds

1 Like