VW's car DRM let it get away with cheating on its diesel emissions testing

If I’m going to drop $70K US on a car, it’s certainly not going to be on a VW or an Audi.

1 Like

I bought one of these diesels and still drive it. I’m pissed and feel like I was cheated and lied to. I’m definitely contacting the bar association and talking to some lawyers about this.

1 Like

The UK has incredibly cheap second hand cars compared to the US or mainland Europe. I’d guess it’s at least partly due to the RHD issue so they can’t be easily exported to nearby countries.

If you want a small car Suzukis are a pretty good bet. The previous generation swift is a genuinely good car and cheap to run. Still easy to DIY too- it’s a pretty simple car, sharing much of the front end and oily bits with the old Ignis.

2 Likes

That kind of Money of an Audi- Maybe. Volkwagen not a chance.

I’d probably take a visit to the Jaguar dealer though.

I feel really let down that Cory didn’t work carruption into the headline.

I sort of doubt the frat boys who “roll coal” are firing on all cylinders to begin with.

3 Likes

I miss the days of 185-60/14 (/-?..too lazy to look it up). Cheap and sufficient, even in soft-compound auto-X Falken form.

I think you profoundly underestimate the difference in number of zeros between the cost of the development team and excess monopoly profit.

1 Like

Consumer culture selects against this mode.

1 Like

I like big RWD sedans. The IS200 is the most budget of the lot. £500 and I can go as fast as I like in second gear.

I wouldn’t be surprised, if most of the “rigged” cars passed emissions testing requirements, without the mods.

A Jetta is not a “classic” VW…

Between the 2 of us, my wife and I owned 5 VW’s and an Audi over the course of 20 years and only had one major problem (covered by warranty) collectively.
We don’t have one now, but I’ve been a fan for a long time. This whole thing is rather disappointing…
Hell, my dream car is the RS4 Avant - not available in the USA, unfortunately.

Hell yea. The new F type is one of the most bad ass cars out there.
And the XE is going to eventually eat into the 3 series and A4 sales. That is one sweet sports sedan - priced well, too.

A good logic analyzer costs about as much as a good used car. You can buy a used car for $10 but not a good one.

The EPA is well within their power to outlaw software that increases emissions.
But outlawing DRM breaking is a major overreach.

If doctors can use drugs for off label purposes, sure they can recognize that there are legitimate reasons for breaking DRM other than to belch pollution.

1 Like

Indeed. VW has also acknowledged they did this intentionally. This is pretty evil stuff if you care about a) rule of law; b) clean(er) air c) purchasing the car you think you purchased and d) all of my wasted US tax dollars that went to VW for “low emissions” tax breaks in 2009. This incident should be the end of VW in the US.

2 Likes

Apparently they do not, which is why VW rigged them. They emit something like 40X the NO2 levels. This looks really evil.

2 Likes

Just now, the dealership replaced a tire for $210. I paid a little more than that for 4 tires on a Ford once.

I think you’ll find that’s because European tyres are designed to go around corners

:wink:

4 Likes

On one hand, true.

On the other hand, you don’t need a “good-good” logic analyzer, you need a “good enough” one. A 8-channel 25-MHz USB dongle will do a lot of work. (Usually they are plastic-housed clones of the $100 Saleae brand one.) Even such cheapo thing can pull you out of many trouble.

Then there are the various FPGA-based data acquisition boards. Some details at e.g. http://www.sump.org/ and http://www.sigrok.org/.

And a promising 400MHz one is here:

And you can have one integrated in your oscilloscope; I got a DS1052D one years ago and it is a priceless tool. The Saleae clone is still preferred, though, as its software has protocol analyzers.

We don’t have those here. :smile:

1 Like