Waaaah! I've got my daily limit on likes! [post your own]

It’s a rolling 24-hour period. So get 1 like back in 40 seconds, and then… well, it all depends upon when you smashed that heart previously…

2 Likes

Ok BBS, you are now just taunting me.

6 Likes

Remember that trust level increases your daily like limit, by a multiplier.

5 Likes

…But it still ain’t enough if you read ALL the threads.

8 Likes

Yeah, exactly: the like limit goes up, but not really by the full multiplier necessary to compensate for how much more you’re reading (and thus appreciating). Can’t there be a 3.5 trust level: BB Lovers, or something like that?

2 Likes

I think BB is long overdue in making a few users TL4.

For a start, I’d call out @jerwin, @daneel, @crenquis, and @GilbertWham.

Long-time Regulars who are still here and contribute without fucking things up.

2 Likes

My new startup is basically an arbitrage market for bbs likes. Sign up at Whuff.me.

2 Likes

Let’s say someone I knew has been a member since, say, Jun. 19, '13 (not long after the changeover), has made say, 1800+ posts, has read 8 days, has replied to lots of things and been replied to many times. And they’re also more of a lurker who likes things, because they just like things, darn it, esp. when there are threads full of photos of pets, or people saying things that are entertaining. Even when they try not to like things, they’re weak. And since they’re more of a lurker due to, say, being busy with their annoying job making them work instead of slack off, their trust level’s not likely to go increasing, and really they don’t care about that since they don’t want new powers or anything (other than not seeing the hated “You’ve reached the maximum number of likes today.”) Also they try not to post words too often since they have a habit of rambling.

At that point is the like limit fixing something? Is it really a cruel game of some sort for mods? It’s not like this user I know is likely to be gaming the system or something, and quantitatively there should be enough data to know they’re not a spammer, etc. Is the like limit actually doing something relevant to keep something from breaking? Is there some secret weakness like limits defend against? Is it just to push users to waste time on twitter/elsewhere?

9 Likes

5 Likes

If you look at @codinghorror’s intentions with the TL system, you might agree that it’s warranted.

1 Like

Posting is not a requirement to reach any trust level, beyond like literally a single post.

3 Likes

So is the like limit is just something mods use to taunt us? Is it to penalize us for not working on increasing trust? I fail to understand any constructive purpose. Is there a discourse doc. that explains why this behavior exists or why we should embrace it rather than whinge about it? (I could learn to like not being able to like if there was a likeable reason.)

1 Like

As @codinghorror said, you don’t have to post much, you just have to fave, get faved a little, and read a lot.

I bet you could make Regular in a weekend or two (focus on comments in the last 100 days!) and then maintain it. You don’t have to be anal like me and read ALL the damn threads. I’m just silly that way.

Maintaining once you’re there isn’t that bad, and if you oopsed and the TL3 status goes away, it’s a short piece of work to get back.

I’ve been surprised at how onerous the TL system actually isn’t. The pie-in-the-sky aspect is an illusion. Yes it takes work, but an intelligent strategy will bring you a long way here.

1 Like

13 Likes

There’s the rub. Also I’m fine with being a ‘member’ (heh, I said ‘member’) I’m just puzzled about why this weird limit pops up since it seems like a pointless irritant. If it is something where it’s supposed to be an incentive to get members to interact more, it feels more like a disincentive. But for now I’ll just live with it while quietly cursing it to myself since I’ve harped enough.

3 Likes

Hmmm, so the misanthropes would be in charge of the hen house?

6 Likes

Which is a bit odd, if the goal is to encourage discourse via Discourse.

1 Like

But not trustED enough!

4 Likes

Are people really liking rather than responding? I could see if that were a problem that a lower limit might make sense. But if you look at the people who regularly complain about running out, they’re (OK…we’re) constant posters too. It’s not like we’re being lazy about our interactions here.

4 Likes

Yes, and at the same time I think it serves the value of “inclusivity”, in that I think it has the effect of valuing introverts like myself, who may have trouble participating in the fast, witty repartee, and who may take time to come up with a comment—but if said comment is of high-quality and well-received, it can count just as much.

6 Likes