Walmart's $150 Chromebook not awful, say reviewers

You’ll pay a definite premium over 1920x1080; but you can get them without too much trouble. Something like the [U2413] 1 isn’t exactly an esoteric item. Walk into Staples and buy it, probably not; but online ordering is no trouble.

Honestly, though, the decline of 1920x1200 bothered me far more during the ‘laptop dip’, when basically everything went 1366x768 or 1920x1080 at best, and before 2560x1440 desktop monitors became cheap enough that you could get those without undue hardship.

If you don’t mind bezels, the ability of modern motherboards to drive lots of displays(even boring business boxes are good for two or three, and even boring business boxes now support running a couple of (low power, low profile) discrete GPUs as well, 1920x1080 has the power of sheer cheap, so you can build a formidable display battery for surprisingly little money; but there are definitely nicer primary monitors to be had.

There’s no reason to assume the wages, OHS and environmental concerns have better outcomes than if you bought any other machine.

You’re right. There isn’t. And I wasn’t. My point was really more to do with margins on a $150 product and how that might have a knock-on affect on wages, OHS and the environment. If you think there’s no impact, then you either haven’t visited Chinese electronics manufacturers, or you haven’t been paying attention when you did.

The same factories in china churn out most electronics we consume.

Yes, I know. I’ve visited a good number of them, and worked extensively with some on OHS, wages and environmental concerns. I’ve spent 15 years working with factories on these kinds of issues, so I think I’ve got a reasonable handle on what’s going on.

I have no idea how your other point relates to anything I wrote (or in fact how any of it relates).

Well, if 2006 isn’t old, then by definition you won’t see any of the old aluminum unibody macbooks he was talking about, as they were introduced in 2008.

Of course, you won’t see any old chromebooks, or even old netbooks, as they’re post-2006 phenomena, too.

I’ll see your old macbook, and raise you an OLPC XO.

The kids play with it now, but I used to use it for grad school. I could run emacs, and remotely connect to the university’s network and work with all my files and run the shell. So it didn’t play videos. Big deal.

1 Like

Do you use any computer that is pre-2006?

A terminal is a necessity. Anything above that is just comfort.

1 Like

I have none that work. My oldest working computer is from 2009.

1 Like

You said this:

when I start to think of what’s left over for wages, OHS and environmental considerations. The Chromebook might not be “awful” from a user point of view, but I wonder how it rates on the invisible side of things.

I said this:

There’s no reason to assume the wages, OHS and environmental concerns have better outcomes than if you bought any other machine.

So the answer to what you wonder is: it’s the same. Chinese manufacturers are making cheap devices for the Chinese market as much as they’re for the west, and Chinese consumers have far more aggregate buying power than westerners. Even if everyone in the west stopped buying cheap electronics they would still be manufactured in huge numbers for as cheap as possible under the same OHS/environmental conditions.

I surrender. You’ve reminded me why I don’t talk to people on BBS.

Cool. I mean, we could have a discussion about the subject but you seemed to want to insult my original point because I dare to reply to you. What you said made no sense. You come back and ask how my question relates to your point. I explain it (without insults to your argument) and then you come back with this entirely worthless non-participation.

Meanwhile you’ve got issues with how Australia operates, but you’ve seemingly got no problem with how China treats its ethnic minorities or entire nations they say they own. It must be nice to be selectively moralistic.

1 Like

That’s simply not true. The US alone is a larger economy than China, indicating that US consumers, in aggregate, have more buying power than Chinese consumers, in aggregate. Add in other Western economies, and Westerners have much larger buying power.

Because they dare to talk back in a calm and respectful manner?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.