Walmart's $150 Chromebook not awful, say reviewers

Hisense is a state-owned enterprise, so it probably didn’t get shafted quite as much as other suppliers by Walmart’s purchasing team, but I wonder what its margin on this product is. And when I think of margins, I start to think of what’s left over for wages, OHS and environmental considerations. The Chromebook might not be “awful” from a user point of view, but I wonder how it rates on the invisible side of things.

2 Likes

how will this laptop handle CNNIC?

1 Like

Other new features include:

• Puts your local computer store out of business.
  • Hires their workers at half their old pay.
  • Outsources their benefits to Medicaid and Welfare.
  • Fires them if they complain.
2 Likes

Linus isn’t entitled, he just speaks his mind in a forceful, perhaps entitled way (crap!!) :smiley:

2 Likes

If they could run Minecraft without Linux and hook up to Realms, I’d buy 2 tomorrow. So that the kids would stop asking to use my PC to play.

BTW, the response from CNNIC made me giggle uncontroll-ably.

I used to be a key custodian, and if this had happened on my watch the statement would have been, “that’s a fair cop”

1 Like

Uh, no reason not to run both ChromeOS AND Linux (no reboot even necessary), like my Chromebook does. Or even wipe ChromeOS altogether and install just Linux.

Not that difficult. See install Linux on a Chromebook for an intro. Hopefully you have a newer one that allows you into developer mode without having to figure out where that damn tiny, hidden little switch is …

Protip: you can run any android app (including Skype) on Chrome OS, Windows and OSX:

Or bluestacks for simplicity on OSX/Windows

What @GilbertWham said.

Yeah, apparently crouton is your friend:

1 Like

o.O

Really dude? There’s no reason to assume the wages, OHS and environmental concerns have better outcomes than if you bought any other machine. The same factories in china churn out most electronics we consume, and this isnt milled from a single piece of cast aluminium alloy as macbooks or the chromebook pixel are. Aluminium is an extremely energy intensive material.

The only case to be made for those machines is lifespan and you almost never see an old macbook, so I don’t know how much reality there is in assuming laptops made from expensive materials have a longer lifespan.

1 Like

What kinds of data are you backing up and from what type of phone?

If you need windows this is apparently an amazingly serviceable $70 tablet that has a full windows 8.1, a full-size and micro USB port.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

Combine that with a monitor via its micro hdmi port, a USB keyboard/mouse and add a 64gb microSD and you’ve got a decent little setup.

Is Amazon now different from WalMart?

Not that I’m aware of. They’re still shiny and new. They have plausible deniability in that it’s their contractors that pay workers shitty wages and make them stand in line for 30 unpaid minutes. Why Amazon would continue to use such shitty contractors is undoubtedly no reflection of Amazon, but only of the shitty contractors, nu?

Unless you plan on crafting your laptop from goat hair that you yourself shorn (shore?) from your goats, you’re going to be buying from somebody like WalMart. Or worse.

1 Like

I see one every day. :grin:

1 Like

My previous imac died one month after the 3 year extended warranty and it sat on the same desk everyday, unmoved. I even turned it off every day to make the computer gods happy and didn’t once mine bitcoin on it :wink:

The genii said I’d fried the logic board. They replaced it 3 times but still couldn’t get it to work so they offered a refurb as replacement, but probably only because he could see the company had just bought 2 new 5k imacs, spec’d out to the bullshit. I’m using it right now and my it IS a nice machine… A little overkill for making web graphics though!

PS: how old is old?

1 Like

Bullshit. No macbook is older than 2006…

They killed the hidden switch pretty quickly; apparently OEMs didn’t like the extra cost of another hole in the case and an extra assembly to expose a delicate moving part to the world.

Anything released in the past couple of years, possibly more, is virtually certain to use the series of keyboard commands(reboot into recovery mode and ctrl+d, I think) that replaced the physical switch.

here are a bunch of webrtc based chat system
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=webrtc+chat&t=ffab

Chances are your friend on the other side is using Firefox, which has the Hello service buitin, compatible with Chrome and Chromium.

Also, Hangouts works in Gmail as well, but you need the plugin on Windows/Mac.

1 Like

1080 lines are too few as well. The death of 16:10 means you can get 1200p monitors anymore.

1 Like