Warren Ellis reportedly returning to comics after dozens of misconduct allegations

“… mash Hunter S. Thompson and Grant Morrison together”

3 Likes

It’s interesting to look at modern comics, with more diverse writer line-ups, and realize that the comics I read in my youth, almost all written by white dudes, that I thought were pretty good… really weren’t. (Ellis in particular I thought was often bad, but I suspect his best stuff wouldn’t hold up all that well on reexamination.) The comics industry has a lot of obvious problems still, but it’s also clear they’re picking people as writers more often because they’re good writers, not… whatever the qualifications were before.

2 Likes

/grabs barf bucket

Apparently there are time limits and being canceled is less permanent and more like 5 minutes in the penalty box. See also Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey, and Paula Deen who have also “triumphantly returned” (from what? Mumble mumble hand wave)

1 Like

Unrelated but this scene came to mind

1 Like

They’ve got connections, these kinds of folk rarely are truly cancelled but the best i can do is to not consume their output. Not that i was ever watching Paula Deen, and Lauer, and i can’t remember the last thing i watched that had Spacey in it.

1 Like

Hey thom.

I had read that site a ways back but havent been there since.

Its a genuinely interesting and unique project/response to this type of thing. I havent been back mainly because I couldnt judge whether doing so was a positive or ghoulish, more voyeurism than support.

What I thought fascinating and ill reiterate here given some of the other thoughts is that it changed constantly as different parts of the group spoke or added to what text was there.

As in - there are individuals there whose own idea of what transformative justice would mean are across the board. Who were very adamant about not cancelling him. Very particular about who within the group could speak for who. There were disagreements about each others specifics even while trying to find consensus. As in the behaviors described ran the gamut from “ew ew ew ew ew you asshole” to much briefer, maybe impolite one off contacts or failing to meet unspoken expectations.

Which isnt to peg those experiences as not worthy of inclusion. If anything, they might be the more valuable pov’s because they are the exact multitude and depth of human interaction that give the whole site and the questions it provokes and asks so full a presence. There are no easy answers. No uniformity. Rarely do you have such a living canvas of every type of variation and diversity of people/opinions on such a topic who do try to talk through the process of trying to find a “we” opinion in semi-public.

At one point I dont know if anyone would have wanted Ellis to contact them right? So im just interested in what everyones expectations (aspirations?) of what that would be like, how does it work when not a media figure, what framework(s) are people partaking in?

How public/private should it be, how does Ellis know? I too get frustrated when people in the comedy world pontificate on forgiveness, etc but overlook you dont get “redeemed” whatever that even means person to person, by just taking a vacation and say “cmon” but I dont know at the same time what currency we are working with and what “we” is doing the judging. How do media figures do something positive without it being just “positive publicity.”

Idk. Its perfectly fine to both say im glad hes working again, everyone has the freedom to a living if they take in more than they spend, but maybe this is an ill read it free at a barnes and noble then walk out w/o buying anything (cause barnes and noble anyway), lol. Templesmith should get to wrap it up, its been forever, and hopefully he will figure out an active step beyond mere resumption.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.