Watch 96 million 'shade balls' pour into LA reservoir

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/11/watch-96-million-shade-balls.html

7 Likes

1 Like

It takes a lot of balls to throw shade on the Los Angeles reservoir.

36 Likes

25 years from now we will realize what a bad idea this was.

17 Likes

A 90% reduction in evaporation losses is not the intended effect, but I’m sure it’s appreciated in a water-stressed environment like southern California.

19 Likes

Shade ball, that’s some kind of a dance, isn’t it?

6 Likes

You would think a big floating tarp would accomplish the same thing.

2 Likes

Way less amusing, though.

4 Likes

There’s no choice in this world that isn’t the least of many evils, and many times we can’t even do that right.

5 Likes

Yes. It’s thought to be seductive by certain members of the white middle class persuasion.

2 Likes

This is totally cool and interesting.

7 Likes

Fiiiine, video, prove me wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, no way this could have unintended consequences. naaaaah.

They mentioned lots of alternatives in the video, including tarps.

The balls are better and cheaper.

6 Likes

Doesn’t raise temp; actually lowers it.

12 Likes

You should watch the video. They explain this.

7 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thought. But polyethylene has been around for more than a century so there aren’t really any surprises likely and really, the worst aspect of this is that it’s plastic and it wouldn’t be great to have it break down into water sources. (But polyethylene is slightly biodegradable as it can be eaten by certain bacteria, so…)

5 Likes
9 Likes

Yes. I don’t know what the down side will be, but give it 25 years and we will surely find out.

It always happens when humans have a bright idea to improve something.

5 Likes

Is this the Los Angeles Reservoir, or a Los Angeles Reservoir?

They did put a cover over the Palos Verdes Reservoir (which is a Los Angeles Reservoir, hence my question), but as an antibacterial measure:

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/2014/05/10/getting-to-the-bottom-of-the-palos-verdes-reservoir/

2 Likes

Ever try shopping for a 96-acre tarp at Home Depot?

14 Likes