I’m winging it, right now. :wink:

10 Likes

twice

25 Likes

*laughs in 11’8" *

6 Likes

Let some air out of the tires?
Did nobody think to measure first?
They ought to have driven a truck over the route first with a pole mounted to its front bumper to test the clearance before the plane started down that highway.

7 Likes

I was just on my way here to make that joke, dangit!

11 Likes

“I took very careful measurements and I can say with confidence that this road is definitely long enough to accommodate the aircraft.”

17 Likes

It was a calculated risk, but darn, they are bad at math.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that, when carrying unusually tall loads, a) they don’t carefully check the route to make sure they can traverse it, or if that’s not possible because of spotty records, b) there aren’t some sort of automatic height detectors to prevent this (I would think there would be some kind of laser range-finder doohickey that would work in this situation). It seems both preventable, and disastrous enough if it did happen, that you’d want to put some real effort into preventing it.

3 Likes

I love that most of this thread is a series of 11’8" jokes (that I would have posted too, had I been here early enough).

7 Likes

Apply reverse thrust?

You mean the driver, right? Still, 100 is impressive.

1 Like

Aww, plane + bridge made me think of this shuttle scene (and so many possible collisions)…

6 Likes

Well. Not after they took it through downtown.

6 Likes
4 Likes

It was for scrapped part but needed the roof removed.
Job well done.

“I forget, do we use metric or Imperial here?”

2 Likes

Ahh, another fan of http://11foot8.com/ !!

1 Like

It’s India, isn’t it? They used Bengal Gaz for the truck/plane but the bridge was measured in Madras Gaz. :man_shrugging:

Length Measure

Measure of length is Gaz. To interpret Gaz, depends on what one is measuring and where they are. Bengal: 36", Bombay: 27", Madras: 33", Government Average: 33". The hand measurements were used.

Anguli (width of 3 fingers) = 1 Girah

8 Girah = 1 Hath (elbow to the end of the middle finger, approximately 18" )

5 5/6 Hath = One Kathi

20 Kathi = One Pand

1 Pand= 1 Beesa

20 Pand = One Begah

2 Hath = 1 Gaz

3 Gaz = Two Karam

3 Karams = 1 Kan

3 Square Kans = 1 Marla

20 Marlas = 1 Kanal

8 Kanals = 1 Ghamaon

9 Kanals 12 Marlas = 1 Acre[ citation needed ]

4 Kanals = 1 Begah

4 Likes
2 Likes

Wasn’t this like an Encyclopedia Brown thing? They deflate the tires of the truck some and it’s able to get through. Scholastic Books Club to the rescue!

2 Likes

Uhm, you should probably read the entire rest of this thread.