Can-opener bridge, recently raised 8 inches, claims another victim

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/30/can-opener-bridge-recently-ra.html

11 Likes

Why don’t they raise the bridge?

(I win!)

42 Likes

of-course

I will concede the distance was only a smidge, though.

15 Likes

The Can Opener Strikes Again; Resistance is Futile

Because some dumbass drivers still insist upon going that way, regardless to all the numerous signs, warnings and previous accidents.

21 Likes

We will subsist on whatever meager fare is available.

8 Likes

Maybe this will be the time that the thread doesnt blow up with comments about “why dont they just…”, but I doubt it.

@Ratel ready to stoke the flames :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I want that as a ring tone.

9 Likes

As I said in the follow-up, the truck didn’t touch the bridge. It skimmed the warning bar.

People can stop blaming the (long-suffering) bridge for shit it didn’t do.

7 Likes

I mean, it’s in the title of the post that they’ve already raised it; how many people will still ask unironically, I wonder?

9 Likes

Can someone explain why they wouldn’t just lower the road? That would seem to be the easiest route.

12 Likes

I assume most of the self-victims of this bridge are rental trucks(?) – do those normally have the height of the vehicle posted somewhere in the cab? Because if not, I bet at least half of people would assume they were fine rather than pull over and take the time to try and find out.

4 Likes

Because of pipes under the road surface I believe.

Also by doing that you create a flooding hazard. If the new surface is too low to drain into storm water pipes, you have to install pumps, which fail during storms, and you have a bunch of engineering challenges and new failure modes.

14 Likes

I don’t think the people who rent these trucks are accustomed to looking at overhead clearance signage, since it never matters for the Honda Civic they usually drive.

6 Likes

Bingo!

21 Likes

Tis but a scratch.

23 Likes

If they were going to raise it why not 18 inches or at least high enough any and all trucks to pass under?52197-picard-facepalm-gif-Imgur-1uQ7

4 Likes

I used to work near a rail bridge that was at the lowest point on a huge parabola shaped dip on the road. There was a height restriction on the bridge, but long trucks still used to regularly hit the bridge. They would form a cord on the parabola, and if they were long enough, they would smash in the centre of their container roof on the underside of the bridge. Geometry? How does that work?

18 Likes

If we’re doing “variations on a dumb question theme,” how about not making such huge-ass trucks?

6 Likes

Or just building trucks so they know not to drive under bridges which are too low.

2 Likes

bravo-picard

9 Likes