Can-opener bridge, recently raised 8 inches, claims another victim

The driver’s boss may misquote Shakespeare right back at him: “Hath not Fortune sent in this fool to cut off the top of my truck?!”

10 Likes

You are right, yet we all win.

" The federal government recommends that bridges on public roads have a clearance of at least 14 feet." Source: Vox.com 2016 01 06 article.

See also US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration document that states it should have vertical clearance of at least 14 feet (4.27m) to 16 feet(4.88m).

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they really raised the whole thing, or simply changed the clearance underneath it. Seems like modifying the beams underneath would get the job done.

If they added 8 in. to the overall height, it seems like that would add obvious changes to the track for a ways in either direction. But they only seemed to work on the bridge itself when they “raised” it.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time a guy lied about 8 inches.

34 Likes

Gotta eat!

1 Like

Theres a video on the video creator’s channel. They did both. Beams were modified and the bridge was raised 8". Additionally an unused track was removed.

12 Likes

They raised it as high as possible without re-grading the whole section of track which includes a station

16 Likes

They raised it as high as possible without re-grading the whole section of track

This. It would have been a major construction project on the rail line to either side of the bridge.

There’s a bridge near I-29 in Iowa that’s 12’ 5", an inch higher than this one, and all of the dozen warning signs tell all semi trailers to turn around. But Missouri River flooding has forced I-29 traffic onto the old highway several times this year, and then two or three truck drivers a day try their luck. Not rentals either, regular professional drivers. Stupidity and hydrogen, two most plentiful substances in the universe.

6 Likes

Nom nom nom

8 Likes

Well, if you rent a truck you probably are not aware that a 12foot 6 inch truck is NOT gonna make it under a 12 foot 4 Inch bridge. Here in Indy, I’ve seen fools try to take a 12’6" truck thru a 10’ 8 " (Ten foot Eight inch) viadock. Oops.

2 Likes

You can just imagine the city’s response: “Well, the streets maintenance budget took a hit we couldn’t really afford, raising the stupid bridge 8 inches, but at least trucks will stop hitti… son of a bitch!

This time.

6 Likes

Bridgework

Bridge is nothing like Taffy @hecep

1 Like

I’ve never been so gratified in all my time on BBS.

6 Likes

4 Likes

The sewer runs directly under the road. They refused to raised the bridge for years because it was a railroad bridge and would require re-grading the track for miles on either side.

Source: I live by Durham.

2 Likes

My gym teacher told our boys-only Health Ed class, “it’s not the size that counts, it’s the way you wield it.” To which my friend chirped (in a voice not quite low enough), “that’s because his is only 2” long.” Which - and I say this having been forced to observe his nether regions in a communal change room - was factually correct. Regardless, my friend still ended up in the principal’s office.

1 Like

We’re going to need a bigger truck.

5 Likes

there’s a sign that lights up and a stop light that turns red if a truck is too high. also a bar before the bridge that you run into first.

people just drive on through anyway.

5 Likes

How do they know that’s a piece of the truck, and not a piece of the bridge?