This might be one of the last victims of the 11-foot-8 bridge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/29/this-might-be-one-of-the-last.html

5 Likes

I find it rather amazing this was the conversation-sparker that it became.

1 Like

Tis but a scratch…

5 Likes

Nah. 12’4" is still not as high as many standard semi-trailers, and other vehicles with appurtenances on top.

c.f.: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/05/truck-eating-bridge-devours-sp.html

2 Likes

Attaboy, bridge!

9 Likes

Is anyone squatting on www.12foot4.com yet?

2 Likes

"We must destroy the bridge in order to save it."

1 Like

I’m gonna milk this for all it’s worth:

13 Likes

Hmmm… Maybe…
The_sign_said_clearance_to_twelve_foot_four_but_those_chickens_were_stacked_up_thirteen_more

Apologies to CW McCall

2 Likes

I guess it never occurred to them that in these impending situations, green is about the least appropriate color for the traffic light.

Wow. It is maddening to watch people block the intersection when their light is red.

3 Likes

The site has been collecting videos of the underpass’s victims for eleven years and eight months now. 11. 8.
Of course they chose now to do the renovation.

8 Likes

Here’s an idea that isn’t in your matrix: If we shred their tires in the intersection, they’ll lose enough height to clear the can opener bar.

3 Likes

The white SUV behind the Budget truck in the second video who just plows through the intersection against the light because the truck hitting the bridge made them “miss their turn to go” (to guess at the “thought” behind the move) is especially infuriating. What an asshole.

5 Likes

I fairly regularly rent and drive 26’ box trucks from Big Truck Rental Co. the short ones are 13’1” tall.

3 Likes

Fine. Take your 11’ 8’’ bridge and raise it.

We’ll still have Storrow Dr. on 9/1. That will never get old.

2 Likes

BINGO!

<Must be at least 9 characters>

1 Like

My advice?

Watch out for bridges.

There’s something I’ve never got about this bridge. There is a really simple solution to this problem that I’ve seen on low railway bridges in Britain: about 100 feet before the bridge, you have a gantry with hollow cylinders hanging on ropes. The cylinders are at the height of the upcoming bridge. If you hear “cling, clang, cling”, you apply the brakes (breaks), you’re not going to make that bridge.

You get a bingo square! :grinning:

5 Likes