The 11'8"+8" bridge renovates a camper trailer

Originally published at: The 11'8"+8" bridge renovates a camper trailer | Boing Boing

13 Likes

“If i just go real slow the bridge won’t see me coming”

47 Likes

Paging @wazroth and his bingo cards.

Also waiting for the poster who’ll make excuses for the idiot driver on the basis that the city should do a better job marking the bridge.

20 Likes

I wanna see the in cab conversation:

“You’re gonna hit it.”

“I’m not going to hit it.”

“You’re gonna hit it.”

“I’m not going to hit it!”

“Stop, you’re running into the roof!”

“The roof isn’t that tall, it’s just barely scraping an AC unit. It will be fine, I’ll go slow.”

“You’re going to rip it off the roof!”

“I’m not going to rip if of, I’m going slow!”

(clonk, bang, rattle)

“I better pull over and look.”

(crash, rattle.)

(I told you so looks.)

20 Likes

WHO ROUSES ME FROM MY SLUMBER?

Hey @gracchus. Thanks for the ping!

Weirdly my saved search alert did not notify me of this one. Gotta take a closer look at that.

28 Likes

I was really rooting for them, really.

9 Likes

So close. If they’d installed some kind of low-rider hydraulic system on the trailer they coulda made it. But who in their right mind would do that?

10 Likes

Since the height addition, shouldn’t there be another box:
“Why did they raise it only 8”-- why didnt they raise it more?"

18 Likes

Ooh, that’s a good suggestion. I’ll modify “Raise the bridge!” for the next version.

15 Likes

They almost had it

6 Likes

They should set up viewing stands along the road and charge admission. Free lifetime admission if you can lead a tall truck to follow you under the bridge. Local repair shops should pay a percentage to the city for damage repair related to the bridge. maybe install hydraulic hooks that can be lowered to get those just under the limit vehicles. Definitely large speakers with a laugh track and an electronic billboard of towing and repair shops. They really aren’t trying hard enough on this local treasure.

5 Likes

Awkward Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

7 Likes

I I really thought for a moment this was shot in slow motion.

Shaking Slow Motion GIF

11 Likes

So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

The Office Jim GIF

12 Likes

Because reasons…

2 Likes

It’s not the driver’s fault. The height of the camper was listed in meters. This was merely a unit conversion problem.

(not serious, just half-heartedly angling for a new bingo box.)

6 Likes

I wonder if there is a practical and effective method short of abandoning use of this underpass that would prevent these collisions. All of the signs and lights don’t seem to be getting through to the drivers. I wonder if many of them don’t realize they are specifically being warned.

1 Like

I think there’s an element of “you can’t fix stupid” here. Not that all of these drivers are necessarily absolute stupid.

There’s a non-zero percentage of people on the planet that are flat out dumb as rocks, and the remaining balance are situationally dumb as rocks.

4 Likes

My gawd, that poor dog has walked in to an Anomaly in the Zone! Didn’t its owner have any bolts?

1 Like

I’ll bite. Bad design is still bad design. The proof is in the number of cars devoured. This could be solved. Here are two new ideas not on the Bingo Card: 1) There are at-grade crossings 1 block in either direction from the bridge, the underpass could just be closed 2) add some foam monster teeth and a scary face on the bridge, see if people pay more attention to that (I’m thinking Animal after he drank the growth formula in the Muppet Movie).

2 Likes