Another truck dramatically stuck under the 11-foot8+8 bridge

Originally published at: Another truck dramatically stuck under the 11-foot8+8 bridge - Boing Boing

12 Likes

Paging @wazroth

9 Likes

This is the one where I got photos of the aftermath!

Oh also:

22 Likes

At what point do they just lower the road?

10 Likes

twin-peaks-its-happening-again-1668754608

24 Likes

Can’t be done because of infrastructure beneath. They already gave the bridge an 8” lift.
ETA: and I can just see it-they lower the road and some idiot can’t deal with the dip because their truck is too long….

14 Likes

22 Likes

And on the pedestal these words appear:
“11’8”+8", devourer of trucks:
Look on my works, ye over-height, and despair!"
No thing beside remains. Round the stout construction
Of that colossal bridge, boundless and covered in wreckage
The lone and unlevel street stretch’d far away.

34 Likes

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

18 Likes

At this point, I am willing to believe that this is the result of a pact with an ancient god to whom trucks must be sacrificed in order to prevent the apocalypse.

22 Likes

I wonder if a sign reading “your insurance doesn’t cover your overheight truck hitting this bridge” would work.

11 Likes

I honestly can’t see anything more the city (or whatever) can do. They raised the bridge, although why the didn’t go an extra 4-5 inches I don’t know, but I’m sure they had good reason. They can’t lower the road. They have a big sign telling truck drivers they are too high to get under the bridge. Maybe GPS should just send everyone around a detour? But then cars that have no problem get inconvenienced.

We have a can opener bridge in Delaware, Oh near me. At 12’ 7" it trucks still don’t make it under. The city is looking to raise money for a warning system but it will cost like $500,00 to do that. Lowering the road is like $2-3 million, so that’s out.

12 Likes

A full can opener!
These things never get old.

11 Likes

Railroad tracks. They don’t like grade changes. Would need to make changes a long ways in either direction.

18 Likes

I like the airbrake releasing at the end, like a sigh of resignation.

12 Likes

The Cabin Inmpacts The Woods Bridge?

4 Likes

I found something not on the bingo card!

(It’s in Kansas City)

Edit: I meant to emphasize the creative warning mural on the right.

27 Likes

I’m beginning to think “ran the red light” should be the free space.

13 Likes

I know that bridge. I used to drive under that all the time when I lived in the area. It’s not as voracious as the 11’8+8 bridge, but it’s close. Also, that is on the bingo card. Upper right corner. 12 feet is less than 11’8" + 8" (which is 12’4").

8 Likes

The red light is triggered automatically if a sensor up street detects an over height vehicle. The light will always be red if someone hits the bridge.

13 Likes