Another truck dramatically stuck under the 11-foot8+8 bridge

Well, not quite. Pretty often, the truck driver will wait through the light cycle, then ambitiously drive right up to the bridge (and a little under, before getting stuck).

Here’s a good example:

That said, the red-light runner has indeed become the norm. I think they should alter the timing so that the light turns yellow as soon as the sensor is triggered (currently there’s a second or two after the sign lights up before the light starts to change).

12 Likes

From an ancient fortune cookie file:

FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing. Details at … uh, when
the little hand is on the …

7 Likes

How many drivers on average per week manage to ignore all the warnings an lights and drive into the can opener beam in front of the bridge?

3 Likes

It could be worse. This bridge could go across a road students have to travel to get to their dorms and apartments, like Storrow Drive in Boston. The local media thinks there may be more Storrowings this year than any other year in the past 10.

7 Likes

This bridge is near Duke University. Are students among the foolhardy?

3 Likes

spring action stop signs that flip down, right into the driver’s line of sight. :stop_sign:

hmmm… does anyone whether there have been more, or fewer collisions since the bridge was lifted?

4 Likes

I see the problem. The OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN warning sign is in green. It should be in red.

On a related note, where I live there is a narrow bridge over the River Windrush, which sometimes gets struck from inside by large vehicles. Two years ago it was smashed out on one side by a huge lorry. It’s been repaired now.

This isn’t uncommon in southern Britain, since a lot of our bridges were built hundreds of years ago. Some of the bridges also get struck by boats.

5 Likes

All together now:

And did this bridge in ancient time
Crush rented trucks like rusty cans
And was debris of Budget vans
On Durham’s pleasant underpasses seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon the H-beam strong?
And did the railroad build it there,
Within the specs of ancient time?

Bring me the crash bar of burning gold
Bring me the water curtain of desire
Bring me the unworkable suggestions!
Bring me the bingo card of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my slide rule sleep in my hand
Till we have built a higher bridge
In Durham’s green & pleasant Land.

30 Likes

How much stuff do students bring to university (sorry, college) these days, anyway? Anything smaller than a 5-ton truck can fit under the bridge and you can put a lot of household stuff into one of those.

6 Likes

Their tuition fee in cash?

15 Likes

The overheight sign lettering itself is just white. I’m pretty sure that it couldn’t be made red for code compliance reasons, but maybe yellow?

8 Likes

This counts as a variant of “water curtain sign” as far as I’m concerned.

It’s actually gone down quite a bit. It used to be about once a month and now it’s rather less frequent. (Also, there was about a week in 2022 where the height sensor wasn’t triggering, and there were 3 crashes that week, so some people seem to be paying attention.)

12 Likes

I’m dissapointed that the thumbnail didn’t match the video. I clicked for the dumptruck.

7 Likes

Ask and ye shall receive.

This one was pretty epic. Pretty sure a bridge inspection was required afterwards.

22 Likes

Bow Down John Legend GIF by The Voice

5 Likes

If the driver actually stopped there would be time to lower a railroad cross type gate.

5 Likes

Mythbusters meme featuring Jamie and Adam: "Well there's your problem."

16 Likes

Guy Hits His Head On Garage Door GIF

13 Likes

something has bent?

7 Likes

Epic indeed.
Music Video GIF by KNOTFEST

The slowed down version was pretty shocking.

9 Likes