The 11-foot8+8 bridge has met an unstoppable force (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/07/the-11-foot88-bridge-has-met-an-unstoppable-force.html

15 Likes

Paint Scraper Bonus!

9 Likes

the surface of the bridge above jumped up! i hope somebody’s checking on those train tracks.

( i’m pretty sure “knock the bridge down” was not on the bingo chart :scream_cat: )

46 Likes

The whole train track bounced. I’d say the truck won this one.

Oh yeah, @wazroth

25 Likes

Swap it - run the train through a tunnel and the road over top

19 Likes

Yeah, that was my immediate thought. In theory, they should be checked after every collision really, but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen. It would be vital after something like this - real damage must have been done.

19 Likes

Trains would never make it through an 11’ 8" tunnel.

(Make the tunnel have more height? You can make the bridge higher by that logic, and clearly that’s beyond them)

9 Likes

Ah, but the bridge would be the other way! That matters, because…reasons…

8 Likes

Anteater -I got this

34 Likes

I’d have said just put a dip in the road but apparently it has piping running below it. I think maybe they could raise the tracks and bridge and add a gradient to lift and lower the train to it on each end but it’s probably like a multi million dollar fix for something they already ‘fixed’ with a few signs and flashing lights.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but we’re back in Bingo territory. Only the outlandish will do.

We’ll need a cargo crane that can uncouple each car of an oncoming train that moves each engine and train across the road so that the bridge can be removed.

27 Likes

Have any open dump trucks ever hit this bridge?

5 Likes

Why not a few cargo cranes so you can keep the cars coupled together, and ideally at speed?

13 Likes

I wonder if they thought about making the trucks go under the bridge when they are closer to the horizon. They would be tiny at that distance and therefore fit right through.

35 Likes

I think it’s time to raise the road so that anything higher than a Subaru Forester clearly won’t fit.

ETA: Huh, that was actually top-middle on the bingo card.

20 Likes

How about lowering the warning beam to 10 feet? Then hopefully the ones would have thought they could squeeze under the 11 8 +8 will know they are above 10 and turn.

13 Likes

Little Rascals Awww GIF

12 Likes

Update that yellow beam to be more… engaging. (image via Jalopnik archived)

13 Likes

Nah, just have cargo cranes lift the trucks across the train tracks.

10 Likes

Truck-crash-upon-bridge

29 Likes