Watch how the 11foot8 bridge is being raised by 8 inches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/01/watch-how-the-11foot8-bridge-i.html

4 Likes

Ron%20Swanson%20-%20Fist%20Pump

7 Likes

I love how the approach was just “shim everything and then toss dirt under it.” Keep it dirty, Durham.

10 Likes

The bridge’s insatiable hunger and strange power to cloud the minds of drivers is such that I expect at least one idiot in a rental truck to barrel through the road-closed signs before this work is done.

20 Likes

Would just digging deeper have the same effect? ie: lower the road a bit?

2 Likes

Edit: Seriously, though, the reason they don’t dig down is because there are a bunch of very old sewer works just below the road surface that would be impractical to rebuild/regrade sufficiently.

14 Likes

How about a giant air bag that pops down in the line of sight of the driver with the words STOP when an over sized truck approaches the bridge. The city could have 5 such air bags on standby for when one goes off and if a truck sets it off, that truck driver’s company pays 100% to replace the airbag each time.

2 Likes

The king is dead, long live the king

6 Likes

IIRC, the reddit community for the 11foot8 bridge was starting to call it the 11foot16 bridge, or 11foot8+8… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It would have been cooler to just fashion a stunt jump, though. /s

2 Likes

We’ll always have storrowing season. :wink:

4 Likes

“Fill in under the bridge and make a level crossing.”

2 Likes

Considering the bridge isn’t far from the intersection, I figure drivers would be so startled and distracted by something popping down in front of them, they’d still end up barrelling into the bridge - or another vehicle. (Also, if sufficiently sensitive to be reliably triggered, depending on the sensor it might also be incorrectly triggered by e.g. smaller vehicles/birds/rocks thrown by kids.)

For the trucks or the trains?

3 Likes

Love how the reporter is unfazed by the whole process…“yeah, this bridge is quite heavy…”. I know the process is serious engineering, but looks more like when my father propped up the couch with books after its leg broke.:grin:

2 Likes

As a BU resident living in west campus with an awesome view of the Charles (12th floor of Sleeper), 9/1 was a day where we would get a 6-pack, turn on some tunes, and watch all the newbies on Storrow. We only got to see one can-opener, but watching the U-Hauls try to reverse and get up the off-ramps was hilarious.

Man, I miss those days.

4 Likes

Yes.

8 Likes

It’s only costing $500,000 to fix the bridge? I assumed it was never raised before because it would cost a couple of orders of magnitude more than that.

5 Likes

It’s $500k bandaid.

4 Likes

7 Likes

There’s probably also an externalized cost of several millions of dollars worth of delayed/diverted passengers and freight.

5 Likes