Originally published at: The 11'8"+8" bridge wins again - Boing Boing

16 Likes

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

13 Likes

Calling @wazroth .

18 Likes

or check his mirrors before backing up

I saw no evidence of that.

I also wonder if the massively expensive work that’d need to be done to lower the road could be paid for by insurance companies just wanting this to end.

I’m surprised that the 11’8" bridge is not already a specific exclusion clause in all US motor insurance policies, TBH. :wink:

16 Likes

there wasn’t enough room for the truck’s driver to back up, and the ambulance’s driver had to put on the lights and chirp the siren several times to get the truck’s driver to stop

eta: unless you mean the “his” part. i didn’t see any evidence of a particular gender

6 Likes

I love the two cars that intentionally run the red light at the end. Its the ol’ “I had to briefly wait therefore traffic laws don’t apply.” reasoning.

11 Likes

I had expected this one to be the one where I snapped a photo of the aftermath, but it’s a different date! That means that there’s at least one missing crash that hasn’t been posted…

Oh also:

24 Likes

And the three Billy Goats Gruff skipped over the bridge unafraid of the nasty truck. “What’s that rumbling sound?” said the smallest…

5 Likes

I’m surprised no car company that makes convertibles (or perhaps trailers to tow behind a car) hasn’t somehow worked the bridge into a commercial or ad campaign. “Don’t make your own convertible, buy one of ours instead!” or something similar.

13 Likes

Just as likey-“that truck is blocking cross traffic, why sit here?”

3 Likes

I recall from when they raised the railroad bridge 8" that there’s a sewer or some other kind of plumbing under the road, so it can’t go any lower and raising the bridge more than 8" had implications for the trains that run on that track.

10 Likes

I saw no evidence of him not checking his mirrors before backing up (as was claimed in the post). He put it into reverse to alert those behind him (beep, beep, beep - and the ambulance chirped to let the truck know it was there) but the ambulance backed up before the truck did, so no evidence of what was claimed.

5 Likes

i’m not going to join in on the “jump to conclusions” game about drivers backing up or sounding sirens, BUT that ambulance was very much so running the red light…

1 Like

And if it were an emergency, why not pass the truck to one side or the other? There looked to be enough room.

5 Likes

it LOOKS like the driver tried to slow down, but was going too fast. **

3 Likes

I saw the attached photo online the other day and ganked it so when another inevitable article about this truck-eating overpass landed on BB, it could perhaps provide something helpful to anyone out there trying to solve this seemingly insolvable conundrum.

10 Likes

29 Likes

How much longer before the ever-increasing size of American SUVs and Pickups causes them to hit the bridge?

11 Likes

This is amazing. I realized that I first discovered 11foot8.com when my oldest son was 2 1/2 or 3 years old. He would sit on my lap and watch the videos over and over again. He’s now a senior in high school. So amazing that they haven’t just lowered the f’in road by now.

6 Likes

If you can’t go under, go over.

10 Likes