Can-opener bridge, recently raised 8 inches, claims another victim

Perhaps someone here could do an audio analysis to determine the Young’s Modulus of the material, and thereby determine what the offending scrap is?

Or one could see that the crash barrier is bright yellow and the mystery chunk(s) isn’t (aren’t).

ETA: the video creator said he picked up the piece. I expect it will be up for sale on his store presently

4 Likes

Not exactly Shakespeare. More like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
jpg

9 Likes

That’s a philosophical question. Reminds me of when Jean Paul Sartre pitched for Dodge Dart, “In my journey to the end of night, I must rely not only on dialectical paths of reason. I must have a good solid automobile, one that eschews the futile trappings of worldly ennui and asks only for basic maintenance. My Dodge Dartre offers me this elemental solace, and as interior parts fall off I am struck by the realization of their pointlessness. I might not know if the window is up or down. It is of no consequence."

8 Likes

Bridge/truck duality keeps me up nights. Sometimes I feel like I’m just a tiny little car.

3 Likes

I may be entirely wrong of course - but that has a whiff of “this is my truck, and no stupid sign is gonna tell me if it fits or not, dammit!”

2 Likes

"Yes, yes. It’s a scratch, just a scratch" says Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet.

Given the opportunity, I usually try to leverage off of Shakespeare! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a good reason why this is not feasible, but… I envision a warning bar - or more precisely, one on each of the approach roads - about 1/2 a block away (to allow time/distance for a change of heart.)

Said warning bars would be significantly higher than the bridge, but would have heavy weights suspended at the level of the bridge; ideally, they’d hit hard enough to make a loud-ass noise, but swing up and out of the way so as not to cause too much damage. It’s pretty obvious that signs aren’t cutting it.

1 Like

No, 'tis not so deep as a well nor so wide as a church door, but 'tis enough; 'twill serve. Ask for me tomorrow and you shall find me a grave man.

5 Likes

I knew it !!! They should have lower it !

3 Likes

best take on…

Block off the tunnel.

I appreciate this is a long-running story, so I’m not at all criticising you, but all these points have been considered and either dismissed or implemented.

There’s a road junction at the bridge, so it’s not feasible to put bars further away.

3 Likes

Well sure, stuff is always lighting up and turning red; you can’t let every tiny thing slow your roll.

4 Likes

I think the most interesting thing is that there are at-grade crossings at one block to the left and right. My opinion is now: close the road.

3 Likes

And my brain reads this out in the voice of Raul Julia doing his best Gomez.

Parkinson’s Law - but for bridges.

There is only so much you can do to protect idiots from themselves. In the end, it’s the responsiblity of the people driving into the can-opener.

3 Likes

Why don’t they just ban “why don’t they just” from comments?

4 Likes

Actually not a bad idea but, since it would cost money, not one that is likely to be applied – rental trucks are notoriously sparse stripped-down affairs. My Outback has systems that seem to know within inches how close something is and their relative velocities and which warn me noisily and then actually slams on the brakes if I am not proactive.

1 Like

FTFY
Also: which is safer: a regular truck or one that’s slightly higher? The higher one, because it’s a little bigger.