Watch Before the Flood, an urgent call to arms about climate change

Most Priuses are pure hybrids, although your comments do somewhat apply to mine, which is the rare Plug-In Prius, and to my other EVs. Our power comes from a mix of nuke, frack gas, and hydro - none of which are exceptionally clean, but all of which are notably cleaner than the average car engine.

Here, I’ll hit 'em one by one…

1. you’re confusing the Prius with a pure EV. The Prius actually is necessarily cleaner. Except in the rare case of the PIP mentioned above, one hundred percent of the electricity used by a Prius is created on-board from gasoline. And the high-tech gasoline engine is truly exceptionally clean, not just from efficiency, but because it actually burns cleaner. If you re-read my earlier post with that in mind, it’ll make more sense.

2. again, you’re mistaking the Prius for a pure EV. But since I have pure electric vehicles, I have done the research - full lifetime, end to end analysis. My 1973 electric tractor has massively outperformed my 1973 gas tractor, regardless of whether we use metrics of pollution, cost, or reliability. For cars, the technological break even point came much later, but the Teslas are off the chart in this regard. Except in the case of those fueled exclusively from coal-fired power plants for decades, modern EVs fundamentally pollute far less, in any full life cycle analysis.

3. almost none of that’s been true since the 1980s. I have read dozens of full life cycle analyses, and if you’d like to be kept up to date on the state of the art, I recommend Home Power Magazine. The point in re: subsidies is partially correct, though - as well it should be! Gas cars have received trillions in tax-funded research and development, mostly during wartime. Subsidizing species survival is not evil.

4. Arguing about whether species suicide generates more tax income than human health and happiness makes no sense to me. I can’t address that point, although you are right that it is real - it’s just that it’s a choice between insanity and sanity, and no, I don’t trust the Demolicans or Repulicrats to make the right choices. They haven’t so far. :crying_cat_face:

5a) That’s why I mentioned the Prius, which runs on fossil fuel. But the market’s going to crush gas cars - have you driven a modern EV? Gas cars are weak, they suck compared to Teslas. Everybody wants the better car, and Teslas are better.

5b) The rare earths in my cars are 100% recyclable and are nearly all recycled in real life. Note that gas cars also use rare earths, although not always in recycling-friendly packaging, and that hybrids and EVs don’t really need them anyway.

I read a lot of them, and again I strongly recommend Home Power Magazine, if you are a geeky type. They are very numbers and volts oriented.

I’ve read all that stuff too, but it defies actual observable reality. Here in reality, the decline of industrial society is being caused by the exact same human beings who are telling me that we have to keep Texas oil pumping or we’ll all be in the poorhouse. Meanwhile there’s a guy selling cars that outperform everything in the same price range, that use a motor designed a hundred years ago.

1 Like

Well, the ratings are in…

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-sunday-cable-originals-network-finals-10-30-2016.html

… and although “Before the Flood” solidly beat “Guy’s Big Bites” and “NASCAR: Countdown to Green” and thoroughly whipped that smarmy Joel Osteen’s butt, it was narrowly edged out by “PowerNation: Extreme Truck Tech” and “Bubble Guppies” and lost big time to “Squidbillies” and “Worst Bakers in America”.

Now, get the Kardashians on the climate change circuit, and maybe Mother Gaia’s got a chance.

1 Like

The closer I look at those charts, the more I weep for my country.

1 Like

Many middle and working class Americans have this view of climate change activism…

…I do not entirely disagree.

Yep. When you’re trying to get economic elites (who have the power to make change) to address problems outside their culture and experience, you have this constant annoying additional problem.

But it does run both ways, keep in mind. I’ve tried to convince a rural West Virginian that limiting legal access to high power ammunition makes sense to people living in crowded urban tenements. Didn’t go well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.