Watch: caterpillars feeding on exploding touch-me-not seed pods

Yup, think so, somehow. it’s from medieval Latin. Linnaeus got it from there I think. Impatiens noli-tangere also used to be noli-me-tangere. Don’t me touch doesn’t roll,

I’ll have to look it up, though. And since all my books are in boxes in another place, I currently can’t look into my copy of Genaust, dammit.

1 Like

That video might be produced by Attenborough, but he’s not narrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0 this has been my go-to soaping method for oil removal, even a little late can reduce the severity of the rash.

Touch-me-not is more of a “Oh crap I am out in the sticks and I just fell into some poison ivy, oh look, jewelweed”. Probably a combination of mechanical action of crushing the leaves with the aloe like sap on the skin, it helps.

GAHHHH The roots on dock are freaking evil. Ok, maybe a counter attack with poison ivy is on order.

Scientific literature speculates also about the role of saponins.

1 Like

I think that the effect on nettle stings is more cooling and soothing than anything. Nettle injects a histamine under the skin while poison ivy coats the skin in urishiol, an irritating oil. The compounds in touch-me-nots actually break down the oil and disperse it assuming it hasn’t already penetrated the skin. I’ve never heard of dock being used for urushiol, but I’m intrigued now.

3 Likes

They’ve really nailed the time-lapsed tracking shots, haven’t they.

I’ll buy it. It has been years since I have tasted any, but I do recall it having that slightly soapy twang. I briefly looked into the chemistry a bit further, and plenty of potentially interesting compounds, Jewelweed Uses, Benefits & Dosage - Drugs.com Herbal Database

Like plants do, in general.

Fun fact: as an undergraduate, I looked at Busy Lizzies and dug out some figures. In the US alone, more than 250 mio $ were made each year from one cultivar alone (the ubiquitous New Guinea-hybrid).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.