Watch: Restored film footage from Denmark, 1902

Originally published at: Watch: Restored film footage from Denmark, 1902 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Cool! But why aren’t they all smiling?

8 Likes

Interesting that the street is so wide and well-paved for no cars.

5 Likes

I do feel sorry for those children. So.many.clothes.

5 Likes

Wheeled vehicles predate automobiles by thousands of years, and a horse-drawn cart often requires more space to turn around than a car does.

9 Likes

Always one guy: (WTF?)

5 Likes

That Chap doffing his hat has such panache; and a lovely little Collie dog too. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Photobomber not wearing a hat! (get the time-traveler!) Because everyone wore a hat prior to (uh…) 1947.

6 Likes

I wonder to what extent hat-wearing fashions evolved organically, driven by skin cancer. My father sure wishes it has been the rage when he was young.

2 Likes

From what I heard, Kennedy killed the hat.

5 Likes

I enjoy these reconstructions greatly. Observations: the guy staring at the camera at the beginning is NOT comfortable. Is it stealing his soul? Will the cameraman jump out and bite him? More people are walking down the street than on the sidewalk. Where are the horses? Everyone dresses in dark colors.

5 Likes

No jaywalking laws, yet.

It could be an artifact of not knowing the actual colors, but then grey and black is certainly the modern downtown dress code.

3 Likes

Every person on that street is staring at that camera, wondering WTF it is.

4 Likes

I also like the rich dad with the walking stick. Those things are due for a comeback.

2 Likes

Now it’s no Nordisk Mønster-Tidend, but La Mode Illustree covers from 1902 reveal a range of colors beyond dark blue and grey.

1 Like

I was fascinated by how the kids were dressed in the middle of the clip. The boy had a sailor-type outfit on and the girl was dressed as a… cake?

3 Likes

Welsh Viking is trying to start a trend for wearing Medieval Cloaks. :smiley:

1 Like

Add a Bluetooth camera for a walking selfie-stick.

3 Likes

Still no jaywalking laws.

In fact this is my city and i know the place, it’s a pedestrian street, no cars allowed…

10 Likes

These videos are probably the closest we’re going to get to time travel…for now.

2 Likes