Watch: Scotty buys spare parts in China to upgrade his iPhone memory 800%

Oh ya, I didn’t mean to imply there was anything wrong with his technique, just that it is only of interest to me from an entertainment viewpoint… my electronics skills are mired in the 1990s and I expect they will stay there :slight_smile:
I do like the demystification aspect of his videos, though, and the street level presentation. It’s got a little William Gibson flavour to it for me…

2 Likes

Yeah. My soldering is for shit. I just need to do it more. I need to watch his other vids. He mentioned that he gets invited to tour factories. Well, guess what… I’m sure without having even seen the vids, he is invited to the clean ones with people quietly working away, happily. But the more Gibsonesque factories, dark, slave quarters… He doesn’t get to see those. …

1 Like

Definitely check his “factory” videos… they seem to be consequences of his friends’ ( or perhaps his as well) dealings with small manufacturers , nothing too organized although the proprietors seem to be happy for the exposure. They seem to be small self owned business, no Foxconn :slight_smile: . Adaptive and agile types.

1 Like

You know, there are other phones/tablets that come with a slot for a micro SD card.

3 Likes

via Imgflip Meme Generator

3 Likes

Or you could just put in a 128 GB microSD card. Oh wait…

1 Like

I don’t know, but then I recently spent about three times what a new PC case would cost just to fix up an old case for a new build. I’m pretty happy.

I guarantee this is his hobby like it was mine when I was spending a lot of my professional time in Shenzhen at the same places.

Basically, I bet he has a very nice base income and does this because he likes to and not because it is his profession. I knew dozens of engineers with apartments in China that were US residents, and their employers frequently paid the rent on the place because the time he spent there (months at a time).

2 Likes

Wow! Where can one buy RAM that cheaply? Alternatively, what is the general technique to fool people into thinking one thing is another thing?

2 Likes

That didn’t even occur to me. And I’d once read about someone who bought some USB sticks which were supposed to be high capacity, but it turned out they only appeared to be high-capacity.

So that’s still a thing, then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.