Scotty of strange parts adds wireless charging to an old iPhone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/22/scotty-of-strange-parts-adds-w.html

2 Likes

My iPhone 5s is acting wonky, may just be time for me to break down and get that new iPhoney…

BTW: this has obsoletely nothing to do with the subject matter…

1 Like

Seeing this fills me with jealous and sadness. This is my first time watching video of the markets of Shenzhen, and all I can think is how this feels like Silicon Valley in the 1980s. The SV hacker spirit has withered from 74xx, jumper wires, and socketed 8-bit CPUs to an empty husk of itself in the paltry “maker” community that seems to be (mostly) content to cobble together some mildly entertaining robot-thing using store-bought parts, hot glue, and some ITTT “logic”.

Yeah, I know that’s an unfair knock on much of the maker community, and I don’t mean to demean them. But like the mythical frog in boiling water, much time passed and I did not come to realize just how much we had lost until seeing this. It truly floored me. The mantle has been unmistakably passed to these brilliant folks. Meanwhile, all we’ve done lately in SV is figure out how to monetize people’s attention spans.

3 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/22/adding-wireless-charging-to-an.html

2 Likes

I was excited to get wireless charging until I got a phone that supported wireless charging and realized I had to leave it laying on a charging pad (i’d never really thought about it in detail). If there is one rule my phone follows is that the battery will run out when I need to use my phone. If I need to use my phone while it is charging then a cable seems more convenient than a pad. I could use it only at a night but then my night stand gets filled up with this pad all the time versus just plugging in the cable at night.

I could see this being convenient if it was built into desks and tables so you could place you phone anywhere on the surface and get a bit of charge on the fly. But really just wish Tesla (the man not the company) had figured out the whole electricity over the air idea. Day dreaming I know.

Why not both? :slight_smile:

it was posted early today but I wasn’t awake enough to comment then.

3 Likes

I think that claiming that this new hardware manufactured and sold by the person who invented it is “grey market” is basically wrong - do call you after market addons to your car (racing stripes? number plate surrounds? bumper stickers? a better radio?) “grey market”? no you don’t

Essentially if you decide that the only thing that can go on your iPhone is something blessed by Apple then you don’t really own your phone, you’re using it at Apple’s convenience, which probably stops when they stop making money from you.

Even the recycled iPhones that Scotty shows in the video are not really “grey market”, they’re likely manufactured from real repaired iPhones, not one that fell off the back of a truck at the factory

1 Like

“A grey or gray market (sometimes confused with the similar term parallel market ) refers to the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal but unintended by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor.”

I don’t care much about the wireless charging, but omagerhd teh blinkeh light!!!1

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.