Watch the incredible contortionist Sofie Dossi, age 14

I don’t mean to seem impertinent, but does that help you save money on rectal exams?

3 Likes

For the record, if anyone ever sees me in any of these poses, call 911. I’m going to need a doctor.

4 Likes

The Ross Sisters:

9 Likes

I’m of the opinion that a good pun is its own reword.

5 Likes

Socialized health care ftw. I can get all the rectal exams I want free. :grin:

3 Likes

I realize a lot of BoingBoing readers didn’t grow up with weapons, and it especially gets driven home when there’s a thread about guns.

What Skeptic is saying is absolutely true: you never, ever, ever point a weapon at someone unless you intend to kill them. It doesn’t matter if you’ve already verified twice that a 22 pistol is unloaded; you don’t point it at your buddy as a joke. I personally know a guy who almost got killed by a BB gun.

The same is true about bows. It doesn’t matter how weak the pull is, it doesn’t matter how accomplished you are, or in her case how good your muscular control is, pulling it back and pointing at people is a really horrible idea. One of these days she’s going to be uncharacteristically sweaty, her fingers will be tired, and that string will go sliding right off her fingers. If it’s got enough pull to penetrate the target (and that was damn impressive shooting!) it’s probably got enough pull to penetrate the eyeball or trachea of someone in the front row.

Hopefully someone will patiently use this as a teachable moment.

2 Likes

Thanks Max! I remember this one on BB a while back - thought of it when she picked up the apple.

@Mal_Tosevite, @Skeptic, I just watched it again.

During the actual trick shot, at no point does she direct a drawn, loaded bow at the audience. She’s 100% safe handling (footling?).

However, she does (a minute or so earlier) do the slightly drawn high pan over the audience. You’re right, I missed that!

But - she’s got her hand fisted around the string, which makes it pretty much the same as a gun with a trigger lock on it. Still not good form, not at all! You’re totally right about that. But you’re exaggerating the actual danger quite a bit. There’s no way for the string to slip, and yes I do shoot a bit, I’m not extrapolating from inexperience.

1 Like

She’s also not the first bow shooting contortionist on a GT show to sweep the bow in un-safe directions - she may have taken the idea from watching other performers (which, she has stated, is where she got the idea for shooting the bow in the first place.)

Famous last words… Unlikely? I’ll buy that. But “no way”? That kind of thinking is how people get killed.

OT:
Well, frankly, I’m less surprised by her aiming the bow at the host and camera man, and the sweep of the general direction of the judges and audience, than I am of all the on-stage fire effects on AGT and BGT. A regular theater company can’t even get the fire marshal to approve a single candle on stage, but these producers get massive burns approved - and even a performer’s home brew flame thrower that throws 15 foot blasts of flame. Granted, one hopes that the state of the art stages have fire suppression personel and equipment that matches the scale of the effects, but even so, given the bad history of fires in theaters, my attention is still yanked out of the narrative when the fire effects get large.

2 Likes

As someone (I think you?) said earlier, it’s bad form regardless. I was taught, and I teach, that you don’t ever point missile weapons at people unless you want them dead. Ingrained good habits are what prevents accidents, so you never never never point the weapon at anything you don’t plan to shoot. Not even an unloaded weapon with the safety on! Because it might not be as safe as you think, and also because other people may well react badly to having a weapon pointed at them. Good habits are built by repetition.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.